Existing Member?

From Masala to Bollywood and everything in between! Catch up with me and my time around South Asia

First 24 hours here...

INDIA | Thursday, 16 August 2007 | Views [470] | Comments [3]

the driveway on our b-e-a-utiful campus

the driveway on our b-e-a-utiful campus

What a day, i arrived and set my things down in my room, discovered I can't get on the internet in my dorm so I walked to the school building....only 100 yards away. I sat in the school building and I contacted some people online until it was light out and then went back to my room and unpacked. We had our first traditional indian breakfast in our cafeteria--Pani puri they call it. It was a puri (fried bread) and chick pea curry, tasty! Then we met with the different school officials and were greeted and taken care of. They issued us our cell phones...if you would like the number just shoot me an email, I don't feel like putting it on the internet..you know!?! Jaya then took us out in the city to get some food from two different supermarkets, they smell like dried lentils and spices...rather pungent to my western palette. We went to a beautiful cotton and silk store where I bought a comforter for my bed b/c my bed is a thin mattress on top of wood...quite firm! We also had lunch at an indian coffee joint called Coffee Day Cafe, the Starbucks of India. We returned from our hot shopping outting and I was so exhausted I stayed up to watch a beautiful sunset from the roof and then retired to a deep sleep by nine...I couldn't even wait for dinner! I awoke at 2am but was easily able to go back to sleep by 3. I awoke again at 7am today and met Stacy, another participant in the program. She's in her late thirties and I'm glad she'll be traveling with us. I'm getting ready to plan the excursions I want to take and Jaya and Dr. Rao...the advisors will help me plan accordingly. Hope everyone is doing well back home, I miss you all lots, but am happy and healthy!

Tags: Markets

Comments

1

wow!! sounds so fun.. i miss you like crazy and it is really too bad that we hardly saw each other this summer. you have a very busy life and i don't doubt that you'll be keeping up a fast pace in india too! i think it's so great that you chose to go on such an adventure; you're going to learn so much i'm sure. well now i don't know what to do, because i made a blog on blogspot but maybe this world nomad thing is better? anyway, keep us updated. i'm off to israel in 2 days (like i told you on facebook) but we'll be back in touch soon hopefully! i wanna hear all about your classes and friends and food and everything. love you!

  Jasmine Aug 17, 2007 10:20 PM

2

I am so excitd to be able to keep tabs on your adventures from the comfy chair at my desk...and the wonderful world of AC (at least as my belly gets bigger, I LOVE AC!!!). I want to hear all about all of the amazing sights and sounds...and FOOD! I don't know if you knew this about me, but I will pretty much do anything for good Indian food. Harvey and I got engaged at our favorite Indian place in Boston. So explore, be safe and have a wonderful time. And keep taking photos! I'll try to send/post a few to you as well...as the belly grows. Do you have a snail-mail address while you are there? Great to see you, even just for a little visit. More soon when you have more of a reason to be up in my area. Love you!
Erin.

  Erin Aug 18, 2007 5:41 AM

3

Great second batch of Photos. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy Independence day in India. And sahre more specifics on the holiday with us on your Blog.

Love your family!

  DAD & Kirstin Aug 19, 2007 11:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.