Existing Member?

From Masala to Bollywood and everything in between! Catch up with me and my time around South Asia

Monsoon Adventures

INDIA | Monday, 20 August 2007 | Views [1403] | Comments [4]

Queen Victoria never so lovely in the rain!

Queen Victoria never so lovely in the rain!

Alright so today was by far the most exciting day I've had here in India yet! The day began with some meetings with the administrators planning for our future travels and such. We squared away our class schedules, and planned for our first week of school. I am continually surprised by the value of the American dollar in India. Our travel agent through the program has arranged a 4 day, 3 night stay in the beach resort town of Goa with luxury accomodations, guided tour, meals included for only 90 american dollars!!! So then in the afternoon we (Stacy, Gigi (other American students) and I) got a taxi into the city where we went to a western shopping market so we could get whole wheat bread, peanut butter and some other essentials. We continued on into the heart of the city where we had a little lunch between the Modern art museum and a beautiful Lotus Pond. After lunch we explored the Building museum that had the most wonderful exhibits of model engines, pulleys, levers, and old models of computers, typewriters, and sewing machines. In the museum I had my first public squat-john experience...I was glad I had chosen to wear a skirt. After we had seen enough of the museum we headed out to try and find the main post office so we could buy stamps and mail some postcards. It ended up that during our walk the skies opened up and we were caught in an afternoon monsoon storm!! So here we were unsure of our final destination, running around in the rain amongst all the cars, cattle, motorbikes, etc. who were splashing puddles and muck around us. We were quite a sight I'm sure, because every few blocks Stacy would have to stop and do something--either take a photo, fix her bag, take off her shoes and walk (she had decided to wear heels)! Needless to say I felt like the only one who was truly equippted to roving the city during the afternoon downpour. The best part of today's outing was that I really bonded with Gigi, which was unexpected. We had been scheduled to return home with our fellow ICMIS student, Josh from California, who's been interning here for three months. He was going to show us how to take the busses from the city back to our campus. Josh was dumped on last minute at work so he couldn't accompany us home. So we decided to not take our chances and find a rickshaw to take us back home. So we found a trusty driver, his name is Chandru, and he has promised to be our rickshaw driver whenever he is able and we need a lift in the future. In conclusion it was a day filled with adventure and discovery in hectic and chaotic Bangalore. Now that I have gotten all this out of my system and am sufficiently exhausted I am ready for a good night's sleep so I can begin my classes tomorrow!!! Check out the pictures that I collected today in the gallery.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Thanks for keeping us so well informed on your adventures! We love hearing from you and you have made me want to go visit India! Love you and continue to enjoy learning and exploring! What a fabulous education you are getting and thanks for sharing it with us!
much love, Reva xoxo

  Reva Litton Aug 21, 2007 2:57 PM

2

Sounds like you're having a great time...We are in Bethany Beach with your Mom and Charles. All the kids say hello. We had a fantastic day on the beach and had an awesome dinner last night. We missed you. I've added this to my favorites and look forward to keeping up with your travels.
Much Love,
Allie

  Allie Williams Aug 21, 2007 10:29 PM

3

Al, your writing is so rich with descriptors--your voice comes through with great dimension! The kids say hello and are fascinating with your stories. We will try to reach you by Skype in a moment.
Love you honey, Mom

  mom and charles Aug 22, 2007 1:26 AM

4

Hey Alex !! How r u?? Sourav Here from Biozeen.... how is Stacy ??? need to connect u all frndzzz.... Good to c ur snaps... plzzz provide me ur contact details.. U look preety and cute as usual...take care ..plzzz send ur contact email Id.. Take care
With love
Sourav

  Sourav ( From Biozeen Bangalore India ) Dec 26, 2010 10:41 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.