Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Off the Beaten Path

CHINA | Thursday, 28 June 2007 | Views [630]

In front of the gate!

In front of the gate!

Today was Thursday and Day 4 in China ~The Update

I have been waking up between 5 and 6 AM everyday. I thought the first few days, I wasn't going to have any Jet Leg but I have since been proven wrong. Pretty positive I haven't been up past 10pm any night here. However, it has been between 95-105 degrees here everyday, so the heat could be the reason. It just makes for an exhausting day by the time everything is said and done!

So today I went to the daycare. I had to be there by 8AM so that I could do the morning greeting with Sandy(the other teacher) because it was her last day before I would be taking over on Monday. The morning greeting pretty much is a way for the parents to see that there big buck is being used wisely. We put a shape, object, profession, or just a food on a board under the heading “What is this?” The kids have to then say it if they know it, guess, or we tell them and they repeat it in English. It is pretty much their ticket into school! After Morning Greeting, we went into the classroom and started with a series of activities just to get the kids moving and in an English mode. We then start something called circle time at 9AM. This involves signing, dancing and any other engaging activity you can think of to get the kids speaking English. I thought my days of learning silly songs were over; because I had enough of them memorized……definitely don’t have enough for this group. These kids know more English silly songs then I do! I know what I will be doing this weekend.

After Morning greeting the kids had chess lessons, however only half of the class has it at a time, so the other half we took on a walk. It had just rained a lot as I mentioned before, so of course the kids jumped at every opportunity to get their feet wet in a puddle. I would have too had I not had sneakers on! Anyways, the walk we used to help the kids identify all of their surroundings in English. I am pretty sure I spoke more Chinese on this walk, but whatever, everything was repeated in English. We went from seeing fish in the pond, to counting how many fish we saw, to then identifying what color the fish were. They passed!

I found out that I get a 3 hour lunch break everyday. Today however, at 11:30am I was finished, because I was going into Beijing with Kevin to see some sights. But imagine a 3 hour lunch break in our school system. No wonder these kids are there until 7 pm at night. They all get fed, and then they take like a 2 hour nap. I wish we had that in our schools!!!

I rode my bike home to find that Kevin was making dumplings…..I at this point wished I had stayed and ate at the Kindergarten because they were having rice. However, to my own surprise, I loved these dumplings…..They were delicious. I don’t know if it was the filling, but I actually ate about 5 of them. I boosted Kevin’s confidence a little and told him they were the first dumplings I actually liked! He doesn’t get much credit since he pretty much failed out of Madison University in Wisconsin this past year. His parents said he had discipline problems because they did everything for him…..(This is the typical Chinese Family Story.)

So after Lunch, Kevin’s dad Jason took us to the subway stop to go into downtown Beijing. That is where I took so far all of the pictures in my photo gallery. Currently the Subway only has 3 running lines, because the other lines aren’t finished yet. They hope to have about 8 or 10 lines for the Olympics. Anyways, so with 3 lines it is a little difficult to go exactly where you want to go. We went to the very north of the downtown area. Kevin wanted to get me off the typical tourist path(plus a lot of it I saw when we traveled here when living in Shanghai.) He took me to what use to be a very rich family’s community. You could still see the ancient wall from 1000’s and 1000’s of years ago. Today this area is split into smaller communities that are pretty much in poverty. (See the photos for confirmation!) Kevin took me inside all kinds of streets that I would have never ventured into because I would have felt that they were off limits. I saw some very interesting cultural things, such as the ping ying written on the wall from a child learning from their parents. We received nothing but blank stares, and at times, very questioning looks. After walking through these neighborhoods we took a turn south and ran into the surrounding city wall. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Beijing’s city wall still exists and the gates are still over present day roads. At this specific gate there is a pagoda looking temple that is currently a coin museum. We took the time to go into the museum and look at several different currencies the Chinese have used over time. This included carved shells at times. (Sorry no pictures allowed so I can’t share them with you.) We climbed the steps to the top of the Pagoda where there was a very nice view of the downtown area. It looks the same as it did 10 years ago I think, but Kevin says this is because Beijing really hasn’t changed much. He says it isn’t like Shanghai, and the Beijing people don’t like too much change.

After the coin temple, Kevin and I did a lot of walking. It wasn’t very exciting so I won’t waste your time. We were pretty much lost, but Kevin wouldn’t ask anyone where we were. So yes, I took it into my own hands to find a bus map and ask some random person if they knew where we were. What do you know….I actually understood them! We made our way back to the subway following the directions I was given. Kevin looked at me and says you can speak just fine, I said, I know, you just don’t let me speak! He laughed!

We then took the subway to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. I had been there before but I wasn’t ready to head home and I didn’t really remember everything. We just walked around and took some pictures. Kevin took me into the surrounding gardens of the Forbidden City. They were beautiful and I didn’t remember going in them before. It was so strange to be in one of the most congested parts of the city, but to be behind this wall that didn’t allow any of them reality to be present.

Unfortunately I had gotten Kevin to the end of the line, and he had no more suggestions, so we jumped on the subway to go back to the place we needed to be to catch the bus. To my surprise it is actually really really easy to get downtown from where I will be living. This means there will be many many more adventures into Beijing!

After returning home, I was disappointed with Rice pudding for dinner…..if you like oatmeal, you would love it. Just imagine pieces of rice so mushy they stick to your teach and taste like I don’t even know how to describe it. Not bad though, 1 meal out of 5 I didn’t like. It could be worse!!

Tomorrow brings no plans. I will probably explore this area to get more acquainted with it. I will move into my apartment tomorrow, after I have a morning filled with special Olympics at the local stadium……not quite sure how a foreigners party turned into special Olympics…..I will keep you updated!

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.