Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Day 2 +3 - Kinder Facts

CHINA | Wednesday, 27 June 2007 | Views [878]

If you ever thought you were funny looking, I have come to tell you that having red hair, blue eyes, being over 5', and speaking a different language is probably the funniest thing some of the children I met yesterday and today have ever seen. You would have thought I was an alien from some of the looks I got from the kids, not to mention the crying that some of them did. That's ok though, the other foreign teachers assured me their reactions were normal and in a few days they would be over the change and wouldn’t be able to get enough of me.

 

So where do I start? The past two days have met every expectation you could have for an adventure or every turn an adventure could throw you. On Tuesday afternoon I met with the English teachers to plan what the curriculum in the Kindergarten is going to be for the next month while I am there. We planned a summer theme, which includes telling them about sunscreen, singing silly summer songs, and finding lots of summer games to play, such as drip, drip, drop, which is like duck duck goose, but you pour a glass of water on the person you want to chase you. I can’t wait for that, since the kids think it is sooo funny to have the teacher chase them. Now I will be wet for the rest of the day. However if the weather keeps reaching highs of 102 degrees, I won’t be complaining. It has been sooooo hot. The rumor is that I brought the hot/sticky weather, because everyone claims China was having one of the nicest times weather wise.

 

So now that I know what I am doing here, I can actually tell people! I am replacing one of the current teachers because she is going back to Canada and I am taking over her two classes.  The two classes each have 25 kids in them between the ages of 3-5. The kindergarten has 5 classes total with the ages of kids ranging from 1.5 to 7. They are soooo cute, and it is actually amazing to see how much English they really do know.  Sometimes they can’t remember my name and I will hear them mumble “Yingwen Laoshi,” which means English Teacher. I then have to say, “No, that isn’t my name….What is my name?” and then they give you a funny face which shows they are trying to think really hard about what it might be. One of the funniest situations arises when the kids have to go to the bathroom. They have to ask in English.  This often involves the kids holding themselves, jumping up and down and very quickly saying…”I haf to go to bathroom!” I just might have to video tape it because it is sooo funny.

 

Situations also arise and become very funny when I have to explain a craft.  However situations like these are very good for me because I end up using my Chinese and just repeating the same thing in English several times to they understand the translation. You would be surprised and how much they really know.

 

I will take some pictures so you all can see what the kindergarten looks like. It is very nice, but also should be with the equivalent to $1,000 these parents pay/month to send their children here. They are extremely wealthy Chinese families.

 

At home, my guest family is the typical Chinese where they are constantly catering to my every need. It will be nice to move into my apartment so I will have some space. But there are several advantages to living with them! One things is they are amazing cooks, so I have actually been somewhat enjoying the Chinese food I have eaten, or at least trying is and still deciding it isn’t for me.  The son, Kevin has also been a great tour guide in showing me the area and getting me back on my feet with Chinese.  I have to say the Beijing accent is taking a toll on my understanding……It is sooo hard to understand them compared to the people from Shanghai. The family I am staying with is from Shanghai and I can understand them just fine!

 

The family gave me a bike that I have been riding. I have still been unable to find a wrench to raise the seat, so that has been a bit uncomfortable. However, nothing was more uncomfortable then the thundershowers we had on Wednesday that I had to ride my bike through. No rain guard, poncho, or umbrella, so you can imagine what I looked like returning home.  I don’t think I have ever been so wet before! I am sure it is only the first of many many, wet rides home. Luckily the apartment I will be moving too on Saturday is only a 5 min walk away from the daycare.

 

In the evenings I have been swimming and playing lots of Ping Pong. My guest brother Kevin thinks it is very important for me to know how to play “Table Tennis” the competitive way. So watch out, I am getting good!

 

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer at home. I miss it, but I am learning something interesting everyday here, and gradually my Chinese is coming back. My guest family says I have excellent pronunciation. When I say everything correctly….they said they can’t tell I am not a local!  I am sure it is an exaggeration….but I will take it!

Tags: Work

 
 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.