Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Day 1-Back in China

CHINA | Monday, 25 June 2007 | Views [675] | Comments [8]

So reality has hit, I have arrived in Beijing China. Quite interesting to see how convenient the U.S. airline industry has made it to get here compared to the past when I was living in China. No more 7 hour lay over’s in Japan's Narita airport with my 1.5 and 2.5 year old siblings interrogating every passenger within 100 feet. Now all you have to put up with is surviving 13.5 hours straight in the same plane with the same passengers’ and flight crew! It actually wasn't bad until I woke up in a really uncomfortable position with my neck throbbing and then realized that only 6 of the 13.5 hours had passed and I still had more then half of the trip ahead of me. But I solved the problem by rotating to another extremely uncomfortable position and fell back asleep. We did however fly over the North Pole.....no it didn't look like anything, but it is just cool to say. I had never before been on a plane that flew the route that we did. We pretty much left from D.C. and went straight north over the north pole, over Russia and Mongolia, got a great view of the Wall of China from the air, and then arrived at our destination. That was really neat seeing the wall from the air, because I had never had that opportunity before. If only my camera had been easier to get out, because I didn't have enough time to capture that moment for all of you. Oh well, next time, or maybe on the way home!

So now that I had arrived in Beijing, my first challenge was to get through immigration and then be surprisingly disappointed if my bag didn't make it. (If just so happened I didn't pack a carry on with extra clothes and whenever I don't do that, my luggage decides to punish me!) Anyways, there is something to be said about the Olympics coming to this country in the next year. Immigration took maybe 2 minutes, and customs was a piece of cake. In fact it was so easy, that when I came out of the arrivals door, and couldn't find my ride, I was in a bit of a panic. I originally assumed it would be easy to spot Li Zheng (the man picking me up) because I knew what he looks like. That was a lie though. I knew what he looked like in Rochester, and the only Chinese person I was seeing at the time. That story sort of changed when there were more then 1000 Chinese men (mainly) trying to find who they were picking up and asking if ”You need taxi?!!!" So actually my luggage was driving me crazy because it wouldn't roll, so I went to the side of the people highway to fix that and take off a few layers because what seemed like a polar plane now didn't seem so cold anymore! However, I couldn't have had better luck because Li Zheng came right in the door I was standing at and ended the first panic attack of what I am sure will be many! His driver was really funny because he knows my mother. He wanted to talk about soccer because he took my mom shopping for soccer jerseys for Luke and Leah when she was here last time. I couldn't understand much of the mumbling, but I did the whole smile and nod thing!

The drive from the airport to the living area I would be in was about 45 minutes. We drove right by the city while on the 5 ring road. When Li Zheng told me this, I was like what? There is a 5th ring road. When I came here back in 1998 there was only one circuit road around Beijing. Now there are 6 of them. Just gives you and idea of how much the city has grown.

Li Zheng then took me to a supermarket where we bought a card for the cell phone he was giving me to use. He told me this was the supermarket I would be able to buy anything I needed at. Everything was in Chinese and I am pretty sure that spending a day there would get me really speaking the language! Might have to try it! However for now, mission one, to get a card on my own failed. I couldn't understand the lady when she was trying to tell me to choose a number for the phone. I didn't realize that I didn't already have a number, so I was really just misinformed not misunderstanding........maybe!

After the supermarket we drove by the kindergarten I would be working at and the complex I would be moving into next Monday, before we arrived at the house I would be staying at for the next week. It is the Gao family. They are very nice and have a beautiful house which is similar to a townhouse. I have my own room which is very large and has a TV. (I am pretty sure it is the son Kevin's room and he is too embarrassed to admit his parents kicked him out of the room to give it to me.) Kevin is very nice, but quite shy. He however is very excited to show me "everything!" The nice part is their house is right around the corner from where I will move to, so I can still go and visit and see them when I want to.


Li Zheng insisted that Kevin let me rest and have my own time. However I had to argue back that I had slept the entire plane ride and was not tired. This put a huge smile across Kevin's face because he had 2 friends there that were waiting to take me on my first adventure. Li Zheng didn't like the fact that his idea wasn't being used but just made sure I was positive and then left to go back to work.

After de-grossing myself from the plane, I was given an awesome Chinese meal that Kevin made. (He is 19) If the food at the Kindergarten is like this....I will be ok! I told him that if the food is bad, I am just going to come and eat his food. He smiled and said "ok!"

After dinner Kevin, his two friends and I all went to Beijing Institute of Technology. That is where is friend went to university. His name is Steve and he is 23. We played some ping pong there, while everyone else in the building just watched us. Oh how I forgot how many people look at you when you are the only white red-headed girl amongst the crowd. We left the ping pong to not only go to play pool, but be greeted by some of the most interesting Chinese guys I have ever met.

The place we went was very sketchy. Pretty much the definition of "A local place!" Their were four Chinese men playing pool with no shirts on, underwear hanging out, and all I can say is then weren't sober. But you know that stare you get when someone is drunk, well this stare was like multiplied by 40 and then imagine that stare coming from a Buddha bellied shirtless Chinese man. I was pretty sure I was going to get sick at that point. However to make it worse, one of the guy comes over and puts his arm around me. I was not thrilled, and tried to get my way out of the situation by saying hello in Chinese. After a few exchanged of words, he brought his friends over to watch us play pool. Awkward....and I am already really bad at pool. Imagine me playing it with an audience. Audience + Audrey playing pool=really bad pool playing. And I am pretty sure then after they watched the first game, they went and got their friends because like 20 more people were there for the next game. I guess they saw it as free entertainment!.......


So after losing about 4 rounds of pool we called it a night and came home. It was a long first day in China, but worth every minute. Tomorrow's adventure should be even more exciting.

What's on the agenda?     -taking pictures of my new home

                          -meeting at the daycare

                          -a first attempt to find my own way home ....wish me luck!

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

Comments

1

Haha sounds like an awesome time..I miss you girlfriend!!

  mcornish Jun 27, 2007 9:32 AM

2

Haha sounds like an awesome time..I miss you girlfriend!!

  mcornish Jun 27, 2007 9:32 AM

3

Haha sounds like an awesome time..I miss you girlfriend!!

  mcornish Jun 27, 2007 9:32 AM

4

haha oops dont why it posted 3 times...

  mcornish Jun 27, 2007 9:33 AM

5

I am sooo jealous! Sounds great - make sure you take lots of pictures:) Love the details - feels like I'm there. Be safe, have fun and I look forward to the updates.
Much love,
Theresa

  Theresa Jun 28, 2007 3:38 AM

6

AUD!! i miss you gilie!! its so awesome to read about how it's going for you. sounds like the first day went well! you're an amazing person- i know you'll have a wonderful next month! i can't wait to cont. to find out how its going! ttys <3

  stephanie m Jun 29, 2007 12:45 AM

7

Sounds awesome! Love the pictures.

  Boyfriends Mother Jun 29, 2007 4:31 AM

8

This blog is great. Can't wait to keep reading. Best of Luck. Miss you lots!

  Regina Jul 21, 2007 1:33 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.