Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

For the History Geek!

CHINA | Friday, 29 June 2007 | Views [530] | Comments [1]

So I just found out that the area I walked around taking those pictures in yesterday is known as the Hu Tong District. I thought some of you might enjoy the information I found on it. Too bad I didn't read this before I went and walked around!!

~A hutong is a unique form of community that exists only in China.

'Hutong' literally means a small street or a lane between two courtyards, although the word can also mean a community within the city consisting of hutongs and residences.There are thousands of hutongs in Beijing City. Most of them were built in Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties (1271-1911). Every hutong has a name. Some hutongs have had only one name since the hutong was formed, but some have had more than five names in the past.

People name each hutong by various means. Some got their names from places such as Inner Xizhimen Hutong; some from plants such as Liushu (Willow) Hutong; some from directions such as Xi (West) hongmen Hutong; some from Beijing idioms such as Yizi (Beijing local people call soap as yizi) Hutong; some from good words such as Xiqing (Happy) Hutong; some from markets for business such as Yangshi (Sheep Market) Hutong; some from temples such as Guanyinsi (Kwan-yin Temple) Hutong, and some are even from the names of common people such as Mengduan Hutong.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Audrey, so funny. They just had a 60 minutes in the last month about the hutong's being torn up to make way for the Olympics and for more high rise apartments. Some of the people were complaining because it was destroying the sense of community they had from living in these hutongs. Some saying it was great because they were mainly ghettos. Glad you got to see them.

  Rita Jul 6, 2007 3:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.