Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Konnichiwa, Reiko!

JAPAN | Sunday, 18 July 2010 | Views [1471] | Comments [2]

I hadn't seen Reiko since my last solo trip to Tokyo in 2005.  She hadn't even met Brandon yet.  Needless to say, she and I were both quite excited to see each other again!  We met up for dinner and drinks at a yakitori bar in Shibuya.

They had an English menu, which is always entertaining.  While we didn't try the "Chicken Cartilage Special Hamberg" or the "Bacon Steak" this time, they did make us laugh.

At Reiko's insistence, we did order a small plate of the "hormone."  It was...chewy and cooked with very spicy peppers.  We had an interesting conversation about the fact that it couldn't actually be what the English word "hormone" meant.  In fact, Reiko had to ask the waiter what part of the animal it was, who then had to ask the cook.  We all think it might have been sliced and cooked intestines, though we're not exactly positive.  Evidently it's a popular dish, but no one ever questions what it really is.

Two happy sisters, stuffed with yummy yakitori (different meat on a stick) and edamame.

After dinner and a fun trip to do puricura (sticker pictures), Reiko made a quick call home to let them know we were going to pop by for a few minutes. 

It was so nice to get to see my first Japanese host family again!  Otoosan and Okaasan Kubota were very happy to see us and gave us the protective parents interrogation regarding eHarmony and made sure Brandon knew just how lucky he was to have won my heart.  I sure do love my Japanese families!  :)

Brandon, brother Keisuke, Otoosan, Okaasan, Reiko, and me lined up in height order.  Only one missing from the family is Junko, who is working at Club Met near Okinawa.  And yes, Aunt Amy, even in Japan, I'm still short.  :)

We had a wonderful evening with Reiko and the Kubota family!  Looking forward to seeing them again in the future!

---Arielle

Comments

1

Haha, Keisuke looks like he's trying to match Brandon for height! And what is Otoosan doing with his hand behind your heads? Not sure what gesture that is? Does it have a special meaing? Funny Reiko, I've never seen anyone give themselves rabbit ears in a pic! They look like fun loving people!! Sounds like you two had too much fun, getting back to the normal will be such a grind for you! :D

  Amy Jul 19, 2010 9:57 AM

2

Aunt Amy,
Keisuke is very tall...he's a very good basketball player (seriously!) Otoosan is making the "hang ten" or "hang loose" sign that you often see in Hawaii. I guess the Japanese on mainland associate it with Okinawa, too, as Okinawa is the Hawaii of Japan. Interesting side note: Otoosan enjoys surfing. Reiko has a very fun Smith-like sense of humor. The whole Kubota family is wonderful and made us both feel like we fit in immediately. :)
Coming home was challenging after having so much fun and getting to see so many of my friends/families, but I had scheduled plans with Megumi before we left, so I'd have something to look forward to when we got home. :) Now we're still just trying to catch up on sleep. :)

Love you,
Arielle

  abcarlson Jul 19, 2010 11:39 AM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.