Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Exploring Shibuya

JAPAN | Sunday, 18 July 2010 | Views [728]

On our trip to Tokyo last week, we made plans to meet up with Reiko (my first Japanese exchange student - and her family was my first Japanese host family) in Shibuya for dinner and drinks.  Brandon and I spent the morning exploring Akihabara and then decided to head over to Shibuya early to do some sightseeing.  We crossed one of the most famous and busiest crossroads in Shibuya.  It was quite impressive.


People slowly started congregating on the sidewalks, waiting for the light to turn.  It's probably important to explain that many crossroads in Japan (mainland and Okinawa, as well) have specific walking lights, during which traffic comes to a complete stop from all directions and pedestrians make their way across the street - even at the diagonal.

Get ready...

Go!

Talk about controlled chaos!

Lots and lots of people.

Brandon was quite enamored with the large video screen on the side of the Tsutaya building.

On one side of the busy intersection, there was a political demonstration, including live music.

The politicians had no shortage of foot traffic in this area.

As we meandered our way down the road, we came across the first riot control vehicles I've ever seen in Japan.  Brandon snapped a photo of two and a half of the buses.

In general, demonstrations over here seem to be extremely well-ordered and peaceful, so I'm not sure if there were other reasons for the riot control team to be in place.  I wasn't going to stop and ask.  :)

I loved the lanterns strung across this side street.  So pretty!

And since I know you were all dying to know the news, SMAP (Japan's version of the Backstreet Boys), still makes music!  They have a new CD coming out this month!  I pointed this out to Reiko, who first introduced me to SMAP's music, but she just waved it off and said she outgrew them.  Funny, she's still a die-hard BSB fan, though.  :)

This awesome vehicle was parked on a sidestreet in Shibuya.  We just had to snap a pic!  Uncle Richard and Daddy, when you guys decide to retire the Honda Goldwings, perhaps this might be a new fun mode of recreational transportation?

And we couldn't escape without some oh-so-Japanese-adorableness, eh?  Doesn't it just make your heart melt a bit?  :)

Stay tuned for the next post - when we actually met up with Reiko - and learned what part of the animal yakitori "hormone" is!

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.