Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Earthquake...or zombie apocolypse?

JAPAN | Sunday, 28 February 2010 | Views [1352] | Comments [1]

Sunset through Fab's lattice work.

Sunset through Fab's lattice work.

"I feel the earth shake, under my feet!"  errr....sorry, this isn't karaoke night, is it?  As most of you have heard by now, our part of Okinawa experienced a 7.0 earthquake our Saturday morning about 5:30am.  It was exciting!  Brandon likened it to not being sure if we were going to lift off (the up and down shaking) or if the island was going to pull up anchor and float off to sea (the length-wise swaying of our bed.)  It only lasted about 15 seconds, but it was exciting while it was happening.  (I know, I know, we're crazy kids!  But to be fair, it wasn't THAT big and didn't cause damage.)

No photos were knocked off the walls or anything like that.  One of our photo frames, a nick knack, and our Jango Fett action figure toppled over from the swaying (we're on the 4th floor), but that was it.  We took a photo as proof.  (And just in case you Star Wars enthusiasts like myself were worried, the awesome Mandalorian armor Jango wears kept him from harm.  One of his guns is a bit bent though.  "Battle scars.")

It was interesting reading some of the news stories that came out following our earthquake (and before Chile's.)  We read everything from "still waiting for casualty reports," "haven't gotten responses from the island" and our favorite, "the same size as Haiti's earthquake" (and they took their sweet time to quietly mention that ours was 40 miles farther off the coast and 18 miles deep under the sea.)  I was certain I was going to be reading about the "zombie apocalypse" in some of the articles!  When did reporting news become wanting to get people stirred up to raise ratings rather than actually reporting the facts?!  Grrr!  [Arielle steps off soap box...]  Anyways, on to the following day...

We can officially now say we have missed church due to a tsunami warning.  Bet you never thought of using that excuse!  :)  No one seemed overly concerned about it on our island, but we didn't want to run the risk of getting stuck on base, so we decided staying off base would be a better way to spend our Sunday.  The tsunami was predicted to hit around 3:10pm on the other side of our island.  Didn't hear if it did or not, but things seemed fairly normal when we went to dinner on the Sea Wall.

Caught a nice sunset photo from Fab's deck.

And a colorful photo of Brandon's curry rice.

On the walk back to our apartment, we watched these guys catch a squid.

He held it up long enough for a photo op, but it was squirting ink everywhere.  Pretty neat!

There were some nice waves tonight, although not bigger than we've seen before a storm. 

The moon was huge tonight!  So cool! 

It was "this big!"  :)

So to reiterate, thank you for the outpouring of concern, but no worries.  We can now chalk "large earthquake" and "tsunami" off our list of things to experience.  Whew, and all that in two days!  Pretty impressive!  Now, on to the next adventure!

---Arielle

Comments

1

Wow! I didn't hear about your earthquake, but I'm glad you're okay! We had a tsunami warning because of the earthquake in Chile as well. We had to "evacuate" to the second floor (we live on the first floor). We spent from 5AM to 11AM hauling all of our stuff upstairs, watched TV for two hours as the "tsunami" hit (all the water was just sucked in and out about 30 times) and spent the rest of the day hauling all our stuff back downstairs. It's becoming a great time to sort stuff out and get rid of stuff before our move in less than two months now.

I love the pictures on your site ;-) Stay safe and thanks for the update!

  Cambria Hazard Mar 2, 2010 10:15 AM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.