Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Tasty, tasty Beni-imo!

JAPAN | Saturday, 19 December 2009 | Views [2742]

You'd never guess Dick and Brandon were big fans of beni-imo, would you?

You'd never guess Dick and Brandon were big fans of beni-imo, would you?

Today's word of the day is "beni-imo."  Beni-imo is the Okinawa Purple Sweet Potato.  It is often times made into a paste and used for filling delicious tarts.  The boys are also big fans of beni-imo ice cream.  

We had driven by a large beni-imo tart on 58 every time we had gone to the Aquarium and decided we'd make a stop to check out the place while Dick was here.  Turns out it is a huge beni-imo food shop (with dozens of different vendors on the first floor) and upstairs is a beni-imo restaurant.  On the first floor, behind the vendors, you can also watch beni-imo tarts and cookies being made on an assembly line.  Sort of like a trip to Krispy Kreme, but with beni-imo goodies instead of donuts.  The boys were thrilled to taste-test all sorts of beni-imo pastries from the different vendors...and we left with a few boxes for ourselves, as well.

That evening we headed back down to American Village to look for some dinner and souvenirs.  We ate at a Chinese restaurant in Jusco (I know, I know - eating Chinese in Japan.)  The food was very good; an interesting combination of Chinese and Japanese.  I'm not a big fan of American-Chinese or the selection I tried while in China, but we enjoyed the Japanese-Chinese.  Bottom line - we'd go back to that restaurant again.

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.