Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Shurijo Castle

JAPAN | Saturday, 19 December 2009 | Views [1071]

Dick and Brandon in the courtyard of Shurijo Castle.  The castle is under repair...again.

Dick and Brandon in the courtyard of Shurijo Castle. The castle is under repair...again.

We took a trip down to Shurijo Castle Park in Naha at the beginning of the week.  According to the pamphlet, "Shurijo Castle functioned as the central structure of Ryukyu Kingdom over a period of approximately 500 years, and was restored in 1992."  The castle is a three story wooden structure.  We paid a small fee to do the walking tour of the inside of the castle.  This was my first museum-type place where we had to take off and carry our shoes in bags they provided.  It's a typical Japanese custom to take off your shoes before entering a house, so I suppose it makes sense that we'd take off our shoes before entering the king's "house."

Inside the castle, there was a room displaying 17th & 18th century furniture and pieces of art.  We especially enjoyed the lacquer-ware trays and pedestals with the mother-of-pearl inlays of the famous "grapes and squirrels" pattern.  We're absolutely serious.

It was definitely an interesting historical site to visit.  We're enjoying learning more about the history of the island we're currently living on.

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.