Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Okinawa World!

USA | Sunday, 17 May 2009 | Views [1055]

We posed with girls in traditional Okinawan garb before we explored the cave.  We'll definitely be going back to Okinawa World!

We posed with girls in traditional Okinawan garb before we explored the cave. We'll definitely be going back to Okinawa World!

"This is the biggest theme park in Okinawa, making, eating, playing, and learning a variety of attractions" - quoted from the vistor's guide we picked up.

However, before describing our newest adventure I should mention the drive to Okinawa World.  From the map it looked like an easy drive to almost the very southern tip of the island.  However, we ended up taking the "long" way to get there, but we did get there without too much trouble.  Oh well... Check out the road sign in the picture gallery and I think you will understand why it is easy to get turned around!

Once there we bought tickets for both the Gyokusendo Cave and Gyokusendo Kingdom Village.  A little background information on the cave.  It is claimed to have the greatest stalactites and stalagmites in Asia.  The cave is about 5 kilometers long, although only 890 meters is open to the public.  The "grandeur and beauty" evolved over 300,000 years.

We made a quick stop on the way to the cave to take a picture of the "flower" shisas that were near the entrance, see the Okinawa World picture gallery.  From there we ventured down the long staircase to the cave.  Once in the cave we were greeted by "Asia's Grand Hall."  A room with countless stalagmites up to 20 meters in heighth.  It was quite amazing and almost looked fake.  We mentioned to each other numerous times while walking through the cave that it almost felt like a Disney ride.  Well except for the walkway being wet and not to mention the drops of water falling on you from time to time.

We managed to get some pictures to turn out, but they really don't show how amazing the cave looked.  Now granted there are parts of the cave that do look creepy and when the music they have playing in some parts suddenly stops from time to time it does add to the affect.

There are definitely parts of the cave that I had to duck to get through or/and other parts it felt like my head was going to hit the ceiling.  The cave will go from a very large open room to having stalagmite or stalactites blocking part of the walkway.  That said this is probably not a cave for someone that is claustrophobic, due to the few times it gets narrower.  Although I do fit easily so its not that narrow.

We took our time to get through the cave and I think we would easily go back again during our time on the island.  We both thought the cave was very peaceful.  Considering there wasn't many people and it was relatively quiet.

However, we did have an "interesting" experience near the end of the cave.  Or maybe I should say "I" had an interesting experience towards the end.  I was standing there amazed that at the end of the cave it opened right up to vegitation and the rest of the world.  Suddenly I hear "bat!...bat!...bat!", I'm thinking where?! as I turn side to side trying to find this thing.  Of course I've seen the "huge" bats on the island so I'm thinking I want out of his or her way....  Instead I discoved this small bat flying all around me!  Once I discovered his location I stoped moving to see what he was doing as he shot back farther into the cave.

It definitely made for a good laugh once everything was said and done.  Although the more we thought about it later I wasn't attacked by a bat...I attacked the bat!  Considering he had probably been there all day just hanging out, until he sees me and I'm the tallest thing he has seen!  And by rights probably the only one that could reach his location so he got scared and tried to takeoff.

...Once the bat was gone we head up the escalator.  Where you could "see the light at the end of the tunnel", see the picture in the gallery!  From there we headed into the Kingdom Village.  However, I'm going to call it a night there and pick up here tomorrow.  Everyone have a good day/night depending on where you are! 

By the way, those were not the only bats we saw on Saturday!


- Brandon

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.