Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

A Q&A Session...

USA | Sunday, 1 March 2009 | Views [656] | Comments [2]

Here's some great questions we got by email and figured if one of you had 'em, more of you were probably wondering, as well.  Sometimes we're not sure what's of interest to people, so keep those questions coming!

Q:  Because the ocean is so close, should I worry about hurricane season? Seems to me that might be a worry?

A:  They call hurricanes “typhoons” here.  There are approximately three to four that come close to Okinawa every year, but we have reliable data that supports the fact that they haven’t had a big one through here in years (they haven’t had a “typhoon day” at work in several years.)  While we can see the sea from our apartment, the Sea Wall is about 2 blocks walk.  We may get pelted by rain and wind, but that’s about it.  (And just to take away any further worry, the glass windows/sliding glass doors in our bedroom and several other rooms are reinforced glass.  As they say in Jamaica, “No worries, mon!”)

 

Q:  Even though you're not in what "feels" like Japan to you, will you get to see any of your friends from there? Is it close enough to catch them?

A:  While we are currently located closer to China than mainland Japan, we are about a three hour flight to Tokyo.  Brandon and I plan to make several trips to the mainland while we are here and we will hope to see all my friends while we are there.  Additionally, several of my friends are traveling to Okinawa for various reasons, but hope to come visit us, as well.  Reiko (our first Japanese exchange student) is coming in March, and one of my host brothers, Shinta, (Sakurako’s youngest brother) is coming for his university’s trip.  I’m not sure  if I’ll get to see Shinta in Okinawa, but we’ll see.  Okinawa tends to be a popular vacation spot for Mainlanders, so we may get to see even more of my friends in the future while we’re on the island. 


Q:  Are Brandon's coworkers there, and boss, American, or Japanese? Does he know any Japanese to communicate? Is yours rusty??? Haha

A:  Brandon’s coworkers and boss are all American.  I’m very rusty, but quickly brushing up through day-to-day interaction (grocery store, restaurants, stores, etc.) and Rosetta Stone (“shameless plug”).  Brandon is also beginning to learn the language.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your view, since  we are in an area that has a very high concentration of Americans (from the numerous nearby bases), most of the Japanese speak and understand at least enough English so you can get by without having to speak any.  We’re taking the “we’re very interested in learning the language” and “it’s polite to try to learn their language since we’re in their country” attitudes.

 

Q:  Does that bathtub Brandon is sitting in, have a shower attachment? It looks like it may....

A:  Yes, the bathtub Brandon was sitting in has a shower attachment.  We’re living in a very, very nice apartment that has a very, very odd mix of American and Japanese influence.  American – there are very large bathtubs (the other bathroom has a clawfoot tub); Japanese – they have the hand-held shower attachment.  Now this is all nice and good until you look at the shower rod they installed for the bathtubs.  Both allow water to go all over the floor so when you step out of the shower, you step into a giant lake.  There are drains in the middle of the floor (Japanese), but they only help the water that actually makes it to the drain.  We’ve attempted to rig up systems for both bathrooms with varying success.  (In Japan’s defense, I’ve never seen a bathtub with shower attachment in any of the homes or hotels I’ve stayed in over the years.  They may have them somewhere, but not where I’ve been.  Most has a bathtub to one side of the “shower room” and a handheld shower attachment on the opposite wall, as you must take a shower to be clean before soaking in the tub to relax.  So this whole shower curtain issue is because of the mix of American and Japanese without troubleshooting.  At least that’s my take.)

 

Q:  Has your stuff arrived from the states, the first shipment I mean.

A:  No, none of our stuff has arrived from the States yet.  We’re expecting the first shipment (the “expedited” shipment) to arrive sometime mid-March, followed by the “Household Goods” sometime before April 9th.  I’m loving the rice cooker/veggie and meat steamer we purchased here, as it has been a lifesaver while I have very few pots and pans.  Brandon’s CIO was gracious enough to lend us a few pots and pans, flatware, and silverware to help tide us over.  We’ve also purchased a few things from the local hundred-yen stores (similar to our Dollar Stores) to substitute until our stuff arrives.  I’m making a list of things you might need in the limbo between when you have your own apartment and when your belongings arrive, so maybe the next family will be more informed and ready than we were.  Also, someone might want to make up a “lending” kit to help tide the next family over until their goods arrive.  Not sure, still working out those details. 

 

Q:  Do you have parking for 2 cars? 

A:  Yes, we are very fortunate to have a two car garage (unusual for this area), and it was a significant determining factor for us choosing this apartment.

 

Q:  I picture Japan to be crowded, but maybe only in Tokyo?

A:  Brandon says the streets are crowded here at times.  In the driving we’ve done here, we don’t see many empty lots – they have apartments, shops, or farmland on them.  It’s not nearly as crowded as Tokyo, but there are a lot of cars here.  While it’s highly encouraged to ride public transportation in Tokyo, it seems like the norm to have a car in at least the area of Okinawa we’re in.  Between the low speed limit (the highest on the island is 55mph and that’s only on the one expressway) and number of vehicles on the road, Brandon’s 7 mile drive to work takes between 20-30 minutes one way.

 Q:  Did you have to buy one of those expensive international driver's licenses?

A:  Fortunately, no.  The US military has an agreement with the Japanese government that allows us to take attend a briefing and take a short test on Base to receive a SOFA status drivers license.  This is of course dependent upon having a State-side license already, so they are fairly sure that you at least know how to operate a vehicle.  The driving on the opposite side of the road from the opposite side of the car is all up to you to learn on your own.  They do recommend you take some time to drive around the Base before you attempt to navigate some of the very crowded or extremely narrow and twisty-turny roads you may encounter on Okinawa.  Brandon’s doing very well with his navigation, but he says that driving on the left side of the road comes more naturally to me (a born lefty) than him.  I LOVE IT!!!  Why do we not drive on the left side of the road in the States?!  It is the correct side of the road to drive on!  It “feels” right!  Hehehe  But perhaps that’s just because I’m a lefty…


Q:  I got excited, briefly, when I saw the kitten. Thought maybe Brandon had changed his mind about cats and was adopting one :)

A:  Brandon actually likes cats.  I know, it’s terrifying that I married someone who actually likes the little critters, but it’s just a fact I’m choosing to overlook.  I’m very much a dog-lover and he is as well.  We’ll wait til we get back to the States to get a dog.  Just not enough room here to have a decent (when I say decent I mean around 135 lbs) size dog. 


Q:  Will you be cooking "japanese" or "american" for Brandon? Or is Brandon doing the cooking?

A:  We’ve been doing a mixture of Japanese and American meals at home.  As I have very few pots and pans (and no casserole dishes) yet, I’ve been keeping things fairly simple.  But I plan to have a nice mix of the two culture’s meals while we’re here.  The libraries on the bases have several good Japanese cookbooks, so I can find some more recipes I think we both will enjoy.  I tend to cook what I like, so Brandon doesn’t have to have a “strong stomach” very often.  When we want something very different, we go out to eat.

 

Q:  How do I convert the time difference so I know how to think of you at different times of my day? Are you ahead of me?

A:  Easiest way to convert the time is to ask Google.  “What time is it in Okinawa, Japan” will usually give  you the exact time.  Other than that, as of Feb 23, you (in Pennsylvania) are 13 hours behind us.  That’ll of course change when you change Daylight Savings.  General rule of thumb, when it’s morning for you, it’s evening/night for us.  We’d highly recommend Google for exact time, though. 

Comments

1

As a side note on the "typhoons" we are on the sea side instead of the ocean side. So "if" we see one while we are here it will have to come through the island before getting to our side of the island.

-brandon

  abcarlson Mar 7, 2009 10:59 PM

2

Hi you two! I really enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing the pictures.I had a nice visit with your mom on the phone and we plan on getting together soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers always.Thinking of you! "Sue Boo"(as your Mom calls me!) Burdick

  Sue Burdick Mar 9, 2009 8:17 AM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.