Existing Member?

Postcards The incredible adventures of Madame Putrid and Rotten

Budapest

HUNGARY | Thursday, 15 January 2009 | Views [682]

I think the title says it all.  We are no longer in Dublin.  We are no longer in a relationship (still friends though).  I was offered a few nannying jobs in Ireland but nothing had come through for Matt yet.  Needless to say we decided to cut our losses and travel onwards.  The plan at this point in time is to fly to Spain tonight, London on the 16th for me, Scotland for Matt, and then meet back up again in Spain on the 26th, departing early February some time for South America together.  Confused?  Me too.  What a chaotic last few weeks.  Too chaotic to recount and too distressing to want to recount them, so lets move onto the good stuff already.  BUDAPEST! 

We arrived in Pest on Sunday after a night out in Dublin drinking Guinness and sucking down Galway oysters with my friend Nat.  After 3 hours sleep we dragged ourselves to the airport.  After catching up on a little sleep we rugged up and head out to explore the city.  The temperature outside was about negative 8 degrees, the air was thick with a cold fog, and thats been about the state of the weather since we have been here.  (Since I have been in Europe I feel the compulsion to do a weather report before divulging any further details about our expeditions.  Its such a european thing to do.  'How are you today Mr. O'Malley.'  'Well, its a broad bright moonlit night tonight' or 'Another dreary, bleak day out'- Sorry ill get back to the blog).  So we have established that it's cold.  Huge flakes of ice float down the river, the pavements are icy and slippery.  A light snow falls over the city, and everything is beautiful.  We walk through Gellert Park and the Castle District to view the city from above through the fortress windows.  I have not seen Budapest in the Summer but I think winter suits this city with its fairytale architecture and terrain.  I half expected a troll to emerge from underneath the bridge as we crossed from one side of the city to the next, or to find hansel wandering aimlessly through the woods/park...  

Okay, we have to go catch a bus back to the hotel now or we will miss our flight to Madrid.  We just needed to get out of the cold for a bit and the house of terror was closed for renovation.  So, ill leave it there and upload some photos at another time to better illustrate our experiences.  The good ones anyway.  xo Love nousk and matt

 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.