Existing Member?

Itchy Feet

Koh Phangan Full Moon Party

THAILAND | Monday, 3 August 2015 | Views [245]

Vicky and I decided that we wanted to have a few 'holiday' days at the end of the trip so splashed out on a private beach hut with air con and a hammock on the balcony - all for £10 a night each! As you walk down the steps of the beach hut you are straight on the secluded private beach, paradise. 

After missing the Full Moon first time round we came back to Koh Phangan for 4 days to experience the madness - 40,000 people descending on Haadrin beach for a massive party! 

We arrived in Koh Phangan after waking up at 4.30am to get the first ferry over. The weather was cloudy so we went shopping to pick up some UV paint and Full Moon tops. When we got back we sunbathed for a little bit and chilled in the hammock reading our books. 

The night before the Full Moon is a big party called the Jungle Party. We got ready and went to another hostel to pre drink and met up with James, Alec, Sam and Bianca from Vietnam. It was some sort of Holy day in Thailand which meant they weren't supposed to be selling alcohol until midnight so every time the police came past we all had to hide our drinks and turn off the music. Just after midnight we all headed up to the jungle where the queue for tickets and to get in was crazy. Everyone was pushing and shoving, it was chaos. Thank god we were with the boys as they protected us a bit from the crowd and made sure we made it in in one piece! The party inside was just as crazy as the queue outside. We went to the front of the crowd to 'dance' but we could hardly move and then Vicky and I managed to get up on the platform so were able to dance more. We partied until about 5am and then piled into taxis home.

For most of the next day Vicky and I nursed our hangovers in the hammock and slept for most of the day. We woke up at half 7 in the evening and got ready for the Full Moon party. When we got to the beach we went up on a balcony to see it from above and I've never seen anything like it. The whole beach was packed (think The Mall in London on the Royal Wedding) with a big dance stage in the middle and different DJ's playing all along the beach. By an absolute miracle Vicky and I managed to find George and Huub (from Vietnam) and danced/drank all night (we reckoned we consumed between 25 and 30 units each - my poor liver!). At one stage in the night Vicky and I made friends with 2 guys called Ben and spent a good hour or 2 dancing on their shoulders while the sun came up. We continued partying on the beach until 10am with the last of the party-goers when the music was turned off and we had to go home. We collapsed into bed and didn't wake up until 5.30pm when we went for breakfast. Our hangovers were unreal but it was so worth it, definitely one of the best nights I've ever had! 

Y x

About ymoughton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.