Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

We Could Be Their Parents

VIETNAM | Friday, 20 July 2007 | Views [970]

Travelers along the way have told us, while in Nha Trang, the thing to do is take Mama Lin's Boat Cruise... the best value $5 USD will get you in all of Vietnam. We boarded our usual mode of transportation, a bus, at 8:00 a.m. and were happy to see our friends Jet and Jafra from the UK. As we look around everyone is really young. To make it worse, the driver hands out a form that we all need to fill out, listing our name and date of birth. We are the oldest by at least 15 years on all these kids, we could easily be the parents of most everyone here. Guess we've boarded the teen spring break booze cruise.

The docks are crammed with hundreds of wooden tourists party boats, and people and touts everywhere. We are shuffled onto our boat by our tour guide, who is truly in his element. Stand up comedy is his gig, and he really knows how to get people grooving. After swimming and snorkeling, checking out a couple of islands, and feasting on a fabulous spread of fresh seafood and fruit for lunch, the boat crew transformed the lunch table into a dance platform. The main entertainment of the day features a very crazy local band with electric guitars, drums, and lots of singing. Everyone is in rare form, singing songs from each of our respective countries, and dancing around. Looking out on the water, we see a local fisherman in a round glass bottom bamboo fishing boat swinging his hips and rocking out to the tunes. We all need to cool down a bit, so we plunged into the water with inner-tubes while our fearless guide busted out a big tube of his own with a floating bar. Their moto was "no drunk, no go home." So they kept the cheap bottles of Dalat Red Wine and pineapple flowing as we all frolicked in the cool, crystal clear waters. We met some fun friends from Spain; Dani and Coral, who were also loving this fine ocean sangria experience, and it allowed me to practice a little Spanish too.

For $5 USD, we got a fun filled day out to sea, got to see some outlying islands, and made a ton of new friends. I'd say it was well worth the $5!

Tags: Party time

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.