Existing Member?

The little adventures of Jo! Travel with me on my overdue gap year around the world :)

The Inca Trail

PERU | Sunday, 21 April 2013 | Views [629]

It's hard to believe that I've now ticked off some major items on my bucket list in the space of two months. The Inca Trail is the latest to be crossed off 

Before the trail, I was very anxious and nervous as to how it would pan out. I had not trained and I had not done a lot of days-long trekking in the past. 
 
In retrospect, while the trek was tough at times, it was very doable. The company I used, Peru Treks, definitely contributed to this with excellent service from our guides, William and Ernesto, and all the porters. Every morning Ernesto gave us a wake up call accompanied with a hot drink of your choice (tent service). Every meal was on time anf well-catered for with at least three courses thanks to the speed and diligence of our porters. William and Ernesto were caring and friendly, making it a point that we all were family on this trip.
 
I had more fun than I had imagined on this trip. Through the tough steps both uphill and downhill, the rain, the altitude, the wet clothes/shoes, the blisters, the sore muscles, the lack of showers, we made it! For me, it was worth every second. The laughs I shared and bonds I made with fellow trek mates, the changing but beautiful scenery throughout our journey, the knowing that you stepped up to the challenge and made it, made this trip to Machu Picchu all the more meaningful. I will never forget watching Machu Picchu glow from the Sun Gate as the sun came up. As my beautiful tentmate, Anna, put it, the Inca Trail is the perfect example of travel being not just about the destination but also the journey to get there.
 
Off to Buenos Aires tomorrow!

Tags: bucket list, camping, friendly strangers, landmarks, nature, peru, trekking

About joannawong


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.