Existing Member?

GPzMike Abroad

t+88.5

HAITI | Monday, 9 May 2011 | Views [363] | Comments [3]

The other day I was upstairs cleaning up, replacing laundry lines that had rotted in the sun, etc when Geoff walked by and laughed that I was doing improvements the the 'IDP Camp for Blancs' (blancs - that's what the Haitians call us white folk). We both laughed about it, but then I started really looking around up there.

Check out the pictures in the following photo entry to see what I saw.

He was right. White trash has nothing on us. Some of us keep it together pretty well, but there are others that just transcend the line. Or should that be 'descend'?

Now really, the status of tent structures is not something that I should be judging. Many of us are on a budget, many of us brought a new or nearly new tent. But months of extreme UV bombardment such as we experience here strips the life out of all these high tech 'plasticized' fabrics our tents are made of in short order. But the planter boxes with nothing but brambles and weeds, the piles of discarded clothing rotting away, the 'back yards' with a bed or trashed tarps, the abandoned and ill erected tents floundering in the wind, rain, and sun...all those items are shameful.

Comments

1

Cue the banjo music....(do they have banjos?)

  Nick May 11, 2011 1:10 AM

2

Hmmm..Maybe there's a need for one of those "home improvement" type tv shows :-)

  Sally May 11, 2011 1:53 AM

3

Wow how things have changed since I left. My God...I didn't think things could get worse. Where is your tent? Did you manage to get your old space back? You had such a sweet set-up!!!! Well keep blogging you keep me entertained. Take care of yourself...

Jazz

  Jazz May 14, 2011 5:06 AM

About gpzmike


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Haiti

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.