Existing Member?

look out world here we come Here there everywhere wherever we shall roam you can join us.

August Trip 2011

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 29 August 2011 | Views [1067]

August Trip 2011

 

At last the time has come for our annual sojourn into parts unknown with new adventures to experience.

Desperately wanting some warm, dry weather, we did a quick three days of driving through Victoria and N.S.W. Into Queensland at Cunnamulla before the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Our first proper camp spot was Yowah (motels last two nights).

Yowah is a very small Opal mining town or should I say was as there are very few Opals there these days.

My parents used to own a house here over 20 years ago long before the town had electricity or bitumen roads. Today it has a new larger general store that sells "coffee lattes”!! We only stayed the one night as a blast from the past memory....not the same place today.

Quiplie We camped for the next week on the banks of Lake Houdaraman with spectacular birdlife.

Wedge tail eagles, hawks, cormorants, ducks, and Brolgas to name just a few entertained us throughout the day.

At night on one side of the lake the sun would be going down and on the other side the full moon would be rising. The red glow and the reflection across the water out did the stairway to the moon in Broome. Plus the bonus was we only had to share it with a couple of other campers and not thousands of tourists squashed on the beach viewing it.

Qulipie has an interesting history as being the town where Amy Johnston landed her plane there in 1930 more by mistake as the town had extended the railway line from Charleville where she was meant to land.

Climbed to the top of what is known as Baldy Top lookout, well worth the climb for the 360 degree view.

Thargomindah where we passed through was also very interesting for its past history. It was the first town in Australia, and the third in the world, to produce hydro-electric power for street lighting, through the harnessing of bore water from the Great Artesian Basin. www.thargotourism.com.au

 

Noccundra the pub with no town as it is known for was where we set up camp for the next week on the banks of the Wilson River. The township has a population of 4 and had swelled to 26 with the grey nomads camping along the bank.

I thought the bird life back at Lake Houdaram was special but it faded in to comparison by what we experienced here.

There would have to be a least a hundred pelicans plus the usual bird life.

Waking every morning to what looked like a ballet on the river. The pelicans would all form groups, then forming a circle as they rounded up whatever fish they could underneath them. Next, what looked liked the lead Pelican saying on the count to three, put your heads in and bums up now. Then all appeared with a fish in their bills. Amazing to watch this over and over again. I did take some footage and hope I can make a small video clip.

Watching each and every different bird you find they all have a certain pattern they follow daily. Their massive wings spanned out fully as they dried themselves along the banks, all lined up like soldiers.

Eulo looks like we have found another perfect free camp spot on another bank of this time the Paroo River. After the floods all the rivers are full and of course the bird life is thriving. Eulos population is 108 so a bit bigger than Noccundra. Unfortunately for the town they lost the General Store and the petrol bowers plus the owner’s home in a fire just over a month ago. As that is the town’s lively hood they are doing it hard at the moment. Hopefully the insurance will pay up soon and they can get on with the job of rebuilding.

Bourke

What can I say about Bourke but oh dear…..shutters and bars on shop windows and inside bottle shops.

Weather is lovely and the pool is great.

Not a good place for a haircut neither (unless of course you like the rat ends look!) Thank goodness it will grow again.

 

Wilcannia , now there is a run down out back town with some beautiful old buildings just boarded up or left to rot. It is a disgrace that we can allow these towns to disappear while we have such a huge housing crisis.

 

Tomorrow we are heading for Trilby Station ( www.trilbystation.com.au )

We have stayed before there , it was lovely, but when I spoke Liz the owner today she was discharged from hospital and heading for Avoca Beach for some r & r before coming back to the station. We were offered a spot on the Station, but didn’t end up staying as the river was 30 feet down the embankment(even after the floods.)

Thanks anyhow Liz and Garry for the offer, as we said we will catch you next time.

 

Tilpa Weir, what an incredible sight when we arrived. There must have been well over a thousand birds of all descriptions down in the Weir.

I soon found out that the fish which were mainly bloody Carp, were spawning and the clever birds were just patiently waited at the waterfall. Once again I hope when I get home I will be able to splice all film footage and make a decent clip for you viewing.

I am unsure where this love for bird life and the out door life has grabbed me with such passion this trip especially. All I do know is I may have to take it up full time!!

Met a great local couple the day before we were leaving and they invited us to morning tea the following morning. Their Station, which was on the road to Broken Hill where our next stop was to be.

Chris and Ken’s place was called Budda Station. They had just been flooded in for three months! Beautiful old homestead on the banks of the river. Fortunately the house hadn’t been under flood and they had a boat to get around in. Lovely break along the way thanks Chris and Ken.

 

Broken Hill

Well wasn’t I silly, because we had been here before, I didn’t take any photos. We still did the local tours again with me thinking I can just add the photos later. Well, so I can…..when I get home and get them off the disks from my old computer!

So for now www.visitbrokenhill.com.au

 

Still a lovely place to revisit, my favourite places would be

www.prohart.com.au

www.jackabsalom.com.au

www.visitbrokenhill.com.au/pages/the-living-desert-sculptures/

Menindee Lakes

What a different place from our last visit here, an abundance of water just for a start. Last time there was only a puddle way out in the centre of the lake. This time it apparently is holding nearly three times the capacity as Sydney Harbour !

It really is a sensational sight with all the greenery and water lapping the shore edge. One wouldn't think you were in the middle of the Australian bush. We are also once again very privileged to be able to camp right near the waters edge with million dollar views and all for free.

The days just seem to fly by and yet we don't seem to do much. I sat yesterday for over an hour just watching a Willy Wagtail playing by the waters edge. He was like a toddler who was experiencing the sea for the first time. A wave would roll in and he would jump it,next he would tip his tail in and then shake of the water. This would be repeated time and time again. Meanwhile I sat transfixed waiting to see what next he would do to entertain me.

We have seen some lovely bird whilst here and on I had not seen before ( well not that I can recall) it is an Australian Shelduck. His colours were a brilliant chestnut. Unfortunately they were a little too far away for a good photo.

The weather turned really cold yesterday and out came the thick winter jumpers. Today is magic and the sun is out and the temp is a pleasant 25 degrees.

I will add some photos of Menindee then we are going to try our luck with the Yabbie net....so far all we seem to catch on this trip is Carp!!

We managed to catch some yabbies but no fish.

After 10 days of pure bliss we pack up the camper for the last time this trip.

We will head off to my sister Sue's at Moama for a couple of nights then once again another wonderful trip has come to an end.

 

 


 

 


More to follow………

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.