Existing Member?

Cowboys, Canadians & Crazy American Children

The last 3 weeks

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 23 April 2009 | Views [751] | Comments [1]

The last three weeks have been a whirlwind!

I think the last time I wrote properly I was about to leave Montana. Since then I have been all over the place...

I went to visit the mormans in Salt Lake City on the way South. Jen and Steve put me in touch with friends of theirs who I stayed with for 2 nights and who showed me so much of SLC. It was amazing - I saw the Morman headquarters and temple (I took a tour that just happened to be with an Aussie missionary - bizzare), went up to the ski fields with McKay, walked the dogs in the mountains with Pamela and had family dinner at one of the rare places you can get a beer with your meal!

After a very early flight and long day of travelling I found myself in the one and only West Palm Beach Internation Airport... I asked the information lady for direction downtown as Rob and I had had a few communication issues and the only places she could tell me were all of the resorts and golf clubs - not really what I was looking for! Eventually I found Rob and Kate and settled in to the living room which was meant to be for a week, maybe ten days... Two and a half weeks later I finally left!

Florida was great fun - it was soooooooooo good to be warm! Rob, Kate and I did lots of beaching, pooling, eating and drinking amongst the highlights of a Del Potro v Murray tennis match in Key Bisquaine, Fairfield Tropical Gardens, Renegades  (country club complete with line dancing!), a Florida Mrlins Baseball game (with peanuts, beer and hot dogs...), Hooters and an Easter Egg Hunt (very fast so they didnt melt in the FL heat).

I also managed to tag along with some Germans on their trip to Orlando which was pretty amazing - I have never seen so many theme parks in my life! We did Universal Studios and were going to do a water park the next day but after lots of singing at a piano bar the night before, decided that hanging out at the resort pool was a much better option!

Last friday I took myself down to Key West in Lafonda (Robs Chevrolet Malibu) which was incredible. The atmosphere down there was amazing and I saw the most Southern point in the states, saw mile 0, swam at the most southern beach, watched the sunset from the pier and of course, ate Key Lime Pie from the Key Lime Pie factory...  

The trip to Key West was the end of my Florida chapter and the next day I rented my current noble steed Neo the Toyota Matrix. I have drive 950 miles so far up from Florida and find myself in North Carolina at the moment at Chapel Hill, the home of the University of North Carolina.

Along the way I stopped in St Augustine (the first town in the states) and stayed at the Pirate Haus Inn - very interesting staff! Went for a walk with Traveller (didnt ask his real name...) who proceeded to get stoned and then have a massive deep and meaningful conersation about the meaning of life, how you need to flow like water to get through the system (what system Im not exactly sure...) and how if there is a god, its the sun... I know! it was a pretty amazing town though with so much history that I wish I could have stayed longer... Traveller offered me a job as a pirate princess in the haus but Im not sure that Ill take him up on that!

The next major stop was Savannah in Georgia - the most beautiful town I think I've ever seen! The people there are super friendly, the seafood is great and the architecture and layout of the town is stunning... This trend continued into South Carolina where I stopped in Beaufort and Charleston - again lots of history, good food and great people!

Last night I made the trip into North Carolina to visit Danielle who is at Duke Uni. It was the last day of class for the undergrads so everyone was having a massive party on the campus so after investigating that for a little while I headed over to Chapel Hill where I am now!

Wow - so sorry for the length of this, I know I know - I should write more often and then have to write less - thanks Dad!!

About to run out of internet time so I will sign off now. Im heading to Virginia tomorrow for a race day at UVA on Saturday with some boys from Bryanston which will be fun and then I'll let you know where I find myself after that!

Hope all is well with everyone back home - speak to you soon!

Z

Comments

1

Hello my blossom Pirate Princess - I can't beleive that I didn't find this dialogue box before - many apologies!!!
Wow - you are a great writer - funny and clear! And such a big and brave traveller - I am very proud of you!
Miss you like -crazy - but have also been super busy, and some days have just flown past with fatigue at the end. I bought a gorgeous kitchen dresser which arrived yesterday - bit big for here but it will be great in the new house. All animals very well - Louisa got lice from the cows but I hope is better now, Minnou is in complete control of the house and inhabitants and looks great on his mouse diet, and Neddy is just obsessed with chooks, cows and horses. I have a new calf - his bottom teeth are too big for his mouth, and he might have been a prem as he is sooo tiny - but what a great little fighter! sOOO UGLY! he stands on his tiptoes to get a drink from Freda and he is called Harry the Handbag (I took him over from the stables a few days ago with a lead rope around his neck and bottom and he bucked and kicked like a very busy little blaCK BAG WITH LEGS!!!

ok - BEDTIME - LOVE YOU LOTS - MUM

  Mummy Apr 23, 2009 9:22 PM

About zoe_wilson2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.