Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Saigon

VIETNAM | Friday, 5 March 2010 | Views [371] | Comments [1]

An early start again as we head off to the American International School. Our bus parts the waves of scooters and motorcycles. They swarm around us like schools of fish flowing in out between bigger fish (the few cars and buses). They meet other schools of fish at intersections and roundabouts and manage to pass through without incident. The bus driver has to stop several times - he’s lost - reminds us of the Amazing Race - didn’t he know he didn’t know where he was going when he set out? We get to the school and it is nice but not as nice as anything we’ve seen so far. Students were very savvy. On the way back to the hotel, took a quick city tour. There is evidence of the French control in the design of the streets - like Paris and D.C. - French buildings, a Notre Dame cathedral. To get a more Vietnamese experience they take us to the oldest temple in the city. A few feet away from the honking and confusion of the streets, we enter an exotic and smoke obscured world of small altars, quiet worshippers and delicate wood carving. Back to the hotel and we pass sights important in the fall of Saigon. We have a luncheon with the U.S. commercial officer who paints a rosy picture of Vietnamese development. We have fish bladder soup, chicken on lemon leaves, lotus rice inside a lotus leaf and stir fried morning glory greens. We have a visa briefing. Very informative, dispelling many of the myths about visa issuance here although it still stands at 50% approvals. The student expo is a crush with people swooping down and carrying off almost all my materials. Afterwards, a few of us head up to the Roof Garden which according to a poster in the elevator is on the list of the top 1,000 places to see before you die! The band is playing oldies and during breaks, the singer does karaoke lounge act songs - My Way, Love Story - pretty funny. Our small group outlasts the band and then we close the restaurant and still continue laughing and carrying into the wee hours on a rooftop nightclub of the Rex Hotel in the middle of District One of the former Saigon, Viet Nam. I’m sorry to be leaving this group since they are such a fun collection of people but am so relieved to be heading to a familiar place - Japan - and to be with family - Ryo and Narumi -where I can relax, wash my clothes and take it easy for a couple of days.

Comments

1

George! Good to keep up with you on your trip. Give my very best regards to Ryo and Narumi!

  Diane Mar 8, 2010 3:31 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.