Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Bahrain to Bangkok

THAILAND | Tuesday, 2 March 2010 | Views [368]

Bahrain - the last supper - a few of us are going on to Asia but the majority are heading home - so we convened in a restaurant (empty - but it was eight pm - early apparently). A singer belted away at us in Arabic with his keyboardist providing that oozing background of synthesized strings etc. More roasted meat. Then in came the bellydancer and I use the term loosely (and the term “loose” is NOT being used loosely). She was more of a booby dancer than a belly dancer - i.e, a stripper. Turns out she is from Brazil and is “lonely.” Her main assets were obviously less than real as they did not join in the shimmying and shaking going on below.

On the way back to our hotel, we toured the Bahrain International Hotel which had an assortment of night clubs - one was Pakistani with two fully clothed women standing on a runway in front of a handful of men and gyrating slowly. Then there was the Arab nightclub where Saudis were slamming back brewskis and then the Russian dive where three dyed to the skin blondes were feebly “dancing” in hot pants - surrounded by young drunken Saudis (looked like our students) cheering raucously - very depressing. Followed news on the quake and tsunami. Heard from Ken - a former Taiwanese student now living in Santiago - he got through it unscathed. Heard from Ryo who was on alert at his airport since it was built on reclaimed ocean land. Also no problems. Glad Hilo was spared as well. Was just there in December.

The next morning did some souk shopping and the took a walk across the highway to a fishing yard. Boats stacked and stacked. The expo that night was well attended. A smattering of people with odd British accents. Getting ready to leave the Middle East and realizing that I wouldn’t have the tolerance to live there again.  I think about how different the situation is with all those foreign workers being brought in to do the hard work in their countries is from the heritage of the immigrants to the U.S. who helped build the U.S. and then could become part of it. These expats are here working to build up the country, but are not expected to remain once things are in place. Looking forward to Bangkok.

Arrived in Bangkok - nice new airport - very smooth entry and nice feel to the crowds and workers - people working and smiling! It's green here! - extreme humidity. Checked in and contacted Tui - the princess - who agreed to pick me up and take me for some sightseeing. Driving through the streets filled with cars, tuk-tuks, motorscooters, etc. Nice feeling of being in a place with a vibrant history and people acting to create their own destiny. Got to the Royal Palace just as it was closing - ouch! But went next door to see the ginormous reclining buddha and the royal temple complex. Ornate ceramic towers and numerous temples and buddhas throughout. Astonishing colors. In fact, I feel overwhelmed by the colors here - including the different skin hues on everyone. Then took a short boat ride on the river (or is it a creek?) seeing the mansions and shanties on the shore, kids swimming, women selling souvenirs from small skiffs that come alongside the ship. Went to a nearby street market which was jammed with young thai and foreigners with backpacks. All kinds of things for sale from massages to rasta hair setting to fake licenses and diplomas. Had some street food and went for dinner - delightful. Pad thai of course and then home exhausted. Early morning tomorrow.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.