Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Bahrain! - Saudi Arabia's Proud Wendover

BAHRAIN | Sunday, 28 February 2010 | Views [322] | Comments [1]

then entering Bahrain - a very low scale destination - truly the Wendover of the Middle East. Everything is easily accessible here - the hotel is laid back - a bar with a Filipino band blaring pop covers into a smoke filled room - too much noise and too little air for me. Met a couple of others and we had some wine in a deserted restaurant - the waiter not happy to see us, but we persevered and had a pleasant time chatting with Babish - the tour organizer who had grown up in Bahrain to Indian parents. Lots of interesting tales about mishaps and skirmishes with the law on other trips. Fascinating. Next morning off to the souk in a group - again more signs of the difference here in Bahrain - this is a working man’s souk - cheaply made shirts, shoes - hardware stores - sari shops - a few kitschy korners. I bought a few pillow covers and some pins for my hat, then walked across the city to the National Museum - very nice display of the island’s history - grave mounds and discoveries from a few thousand years back - First it was called Dilman and then Tylos by the Greeks and finally Bahrain by the Portuguese. Lots of pearl trade - a first stop on leaving the Garden of Eden apparently. Walked back and got a take-away biryani on the way. Afternoon swim - again private pool and now getting ready for our end of Middle East tour party - although we have a full day of work tomorrow and a redeye flight to Bangkok.

Comments

1

George,

Didn't know about your journal. I'll keep Mom informed through it from now on. Glad you called her. She was getting worried. Hope the Pacific Ocean tsunami doesn't affect the Asian leg of your trip.

Carol

  Carol Feb 28, 2010 3:34 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bahrain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.