Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Japan Part One

JAPAN | Wednesday, 10 March 2010 | Views [450]

Spent the evening in HCM City with Gary Carkin - my fellow TESOL drama guy and one of his former students - got my redeye flight to Narita and then on to Nagoya to meet Ryo.

It was wonderful to see Ryo waiting at his airport when I arrived in Nagoya. Great feeling to have family so far from home. Went to a hot spring near Ryo’s house - Super Sento very nice facility with farmer’s market nearby. Lots of different pools. It's the latest generation of the public bath in Japan - a spa like setting for bathing. I'm the only gaijin in sight.

THe next day, Ryo and Narumi and I visited Hamamatsu castle - a reproduction and more a tower than a castle. Feasted on unagi (eel) - a specialty there and picked up some gyoza (another specialty)and visited the famous Kanzanji hot springs - returned in traffic jam - watched Glee that night and got repacked for our hot spring trip to the coast.

Left for Urashima - four hour drive to the - passing small fishing villages with specialties - saury??? and tuna -- went to Middle Island first by boat - nice outdoor hotsprings overlooking the ocean - no one there. We were greeted by three guys in suits but the hotel is virtually empty. Obviously off season. Then back to our hotel on a turtle boat - joined by a tour group of retirees- I’m the only gaijin again!

Six hot springs here (one closed) - escalator to heaven - going up 33 floors - again we are the only ones using it - the hotel is like a mall with a kiddie playland, convenience stores, shops, clinics, etc. The dinner and breakfast are "Viking style" - buffet. The rain held so we had nice sunshine throughout the day and nearly private hot springs. Very relaxing to sit in the tubs and watch the ocean waves crashing to shore.

THe next morning, the rain started heavy. We ventured in spite of it to visit a World Heritage Sight - a beautiful shrine and temple up in the mountains along a very treacherous stone path. By the time we reached the temple, we were soaked and we decided to keep on since we couldn't get any wetter and made it down the rocky path to the foot of an enormous waterfall.

Got to our next hotel, a very upscale version (and very traditional ryokan (inn) like) with everyone wearing yukatas and nice calming spaces and beautifully decorated hallways and gardens. We hit the springs - snagging a private tub overlooking the ocean and then tried out the other springs. Had an amzing dinner and then I took a hot bath out on our balcony - you call the front desk and suddenly the tub fills and stops just in time - the perfect temperature. Nice restful night.

The next morning, an early soak, breakfast with fish cooked at our table and off to Osaka!

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.