Existing Member?

Seema Does SE Asia! Come and see what I see on my first trip out to SE Asia...

A Slight Change of Plan / Leaving Bangkok and into Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Monday, 11 May 2009 | Views [592] | Comments [6]

After a crazy day wandering around Bangkok, I realised I actually didn't like it there atall, I was so stressed and tired (3 years worth of exhaustion all came out in under 24hours) that after writing the last update I wanted to cancel everything, go up to Chaing Mai, take a massage course for a week, a cookery course and then go to the islands to relax.... instead I ended up doing something inbetween that and the original plan  - got everything organised for the month, booked trips and flights etc through an agency with a view to relaxing and enjoying the trip anymore. I don't want to do the 'tick-list' type tour, stopping in places just for a day before catching a plane somewhre else. For this reason I'm not going to Vietnam at all this time. Am very sad about that but at the same time know that i'll come back soon enough and spend a good 3-4 weeks going from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City and really explore properly - anyone want to come with?!!!

Life's a journal after all, so i'm planning to enjoy it.

Saying that, organising all these trips with a company was supposed to help me relax a bit more... Sunday morning was a disaster! I was waiting for the bus to pick me up to go to Ayutthaya but no one came, after 45mins I was running up the Khao San Rd in BKK (carrying my rucksack!) trying to get a tour operator. Finally one agreed to let me on their bus and I got there, spent the day with a group, met some cool french speaking canadian guys who were on the same night train as me to Chiang Mai so after the tour we hung out, had a few beers, had dinner together on the train etc... learnt how to swear in Quebecois and generally felt relaxed for the first time since I got to Thailand.

The night train was a great experience though, bunker beds, tiny things, quite the journey but I slept pretty well and despite everything arrived feeling quite refrshed to Chiang Mai this morning. Today I've wandered around temples, literally losing myself within the grounds... its so peaceful, I much prefer Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Spent the afternoon talking to a monk from Laos and tomorrow i'm going elephant trekking and bamboo rafting, sleeping in the jungle with tribespeopl apparently for 2 nigths then back to Chiang Mai for a thai cookery course.

I mentioned that my route has changed.... instead of going to Vietnam, I'll take a slow boat from here to Luang Prabang in Laos, and from there head to Siem Reap in Cambodia for 2 days to see Angkor Wat. Sadly, no time for more than that in Cambodia as then I do down to Krabi and Koh Lanta for the rest of my trip.... voila, less ambitious plan I know but hopefully also less stressful and more reliable.

If the map below wasn't in thai on my computer I would update it, but i'll try next time I log on... now its off for some more good thai food and maybe a massage too!

Much love!

S

 

Comments

1

Bloody hell Seems, it's all about grey clouds and team meetings over here. How much I envy you right now! With you in thoughts :-)
Enjoy the tribesmen!

  Nadezda May 11, 2009 11:32 PM

2

Good to hear that you are enjoying yourself. And lovely idea to keep us updated with your blog. Any plans to go to see a thai-box-turnament? Heard that it's a big tradition and an interesting experience.

Speaking of interesting experience: we went to do the Charleroi-Safari with Liv yesterday. Man, what a shithole that is. But not without charm, I must say.

Keep us updated and take good care of yourself! Looking forward to enjoy your newly acquired thai-cooking skills :)

  Frederik May 11, 2009 11:57 PM

3

Hi Beta. Chorley reg office is following your travels as well. Janet and Dennerlyn are keeping an eye on you too! This bamboo rafting sounds rather ominous! I hope all the health and safety stuff is up to scratch .What about some piccies?? Oh , and keep away from any tribesmen! Take cool shots of yourself with the tribeswomen working hard , grinding corn ( or whatever) with the baby on their back and kids playing in the background - be the typical tourist. Wish I was there. Big hugs XX from Dad too



  Mum May 12, 2009 12:08 AM

4

Hi Seema

Enjoy your rafting but hold on tight...as I am not sure how fast the water will be running at the time of year, but if its really fast and deep-Enjoy, it's a great trip..and if you need someone to vsiit Vietnam- it's only a couple of hours from us so we can meet you for a weekend! I've triend to go three time and cancelled - so this Xmas is Vietnam for us..

And if you want a massage in Chang Mai- I recommend the institute run by the blind..if it still exists..

Fi


  Fion a May 12, 2009 10:59 AM

5

good god woman, your mood changes faster than a las vegas light show! :)

enjoy the sun, and the beach and the food, if you want i can send you a tupperware and you can bring some of that back:)

we miss u!

  eleni May 12, 2009 7:29 PM

6

I can't believe it's taken me this long to actually post a comment! Change of plan seems to be a positive one, at least you'll be able to relax more and not worry about your next step so much! Im suprised you didnt fall out of these tiny beds!

Now to the important stuff...there are a few errors that are atypical of your usual self...most notably:

"Am very sad"
"refrshed"
"tribespeopl"

Hahaha you know me, always keeping you on your toes! Anyway hope you learn something from the tribeswomen (who actually graft hard) and i look forward to having you back in P-town!

  The Amazing Brother May 14, 2009 3:37 AM

About zimmy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.