Existing Member?

Seema Does SE Asia! Come and see what I see on my first trip out to SE Asia...

In Bangkok

THAILAND | Saturday, 9 May 2009 | Views [642] | Comments [7]

Hello all;


I'd like to start with the usual complaints about the shocking flight, delays, bad food, being ripped off within 5 minutes of arriving into Bangkok... but fortunately for me that wasn't the case atall - we had a 30min delay in Manchester, I still made my connection in Dubai, flight was lovely (had an entire row to myself to be able to stretch out and sleep Manchester-Dubai!) food was brilliant and arrived into Bangkok feeling pretty fresh! I love flying Emirates! Shame my taxi driver had no clue where i was going, and as I found out later dropped me about 5 mins from the Khao San road and left me wandering up and down asking thai's where the Burger King was (directions to my hostel were given from there!) In the end I found a Brit Abroad (Vic your impressions always were perfect) asked him and found the hostel immediately.

This is where it was a little disappointing - they'd made a mistake with the booking and they couldn't offer me the a/c room i'd paid for for 2 nights.... rather than changing rooms after 1 night I agreed to take the fan room (90baht a night cheaper I might add so more spending money... ok so its less than a pound sterling but you can get alot of pad thai for that!). Big mistake Seema. I almost died last night, barely slept a wink for the heat. Plus with the window open, even though its in a quiet area the noises were weird. Tonight is going to be interesting! Other than that, hostel is nice, clean, I have a private room so can't complain.

Wondered out last night around the market of Khao San road - its true they really do sell everything! Bought myself a handbag and some trousers already, got my legs waxed, bought a map of Bangkok, ate some pad thai, the fresh juices along here are just amazing - this mornings is orange and passion fruit...

Can't say i've met many people yet, neither have I wanted to though, am quite happy just pottering about and exploring. Today is temples and cultural stuff. I must admit being here makes you a bit lazy, i'd love to take the time and just enjoy Thailand properly, not have to stress and rush around, take a massage course and cookery course, relax on the beach.... equally I want to see Vietnam and Cambodia too.

This is why my next destination is unknown... Its a holiday weekend here, the Vietnamese embassy is closed on monday therefore the earliest I can get my visa for entry into Vietnam is tuesday,  if not wednesday. Alternative is to reverse my itinery, go into Cambodia first and try to get it from Phnon Penh so as not to waste time here....

Lets see, in any case I have a room here til tomorrow and if they can switch me to an air conditioned room i'd stay longer! What else to tell you - I have my mobile phone so am receiving texts should you feel so inclined, although am not carrying it with me during the day. I need to buy a watch as I have zero concept of time (both a blessing a curse!) and evidently need to work on my blogging skills as I seem to have just rambled on here.... next update will be full of cultural and philosophical insights and more excitement I promise. Right now I still can't get over how good the food is!

Big kiss from Bangkok!

S

 

Comments

1

stop it with the food already! i am salivating all over my keyboard...

  Olga May 9, 2009 5:03 PM

2

HI Darling - good to hear what its been like so far. A good flight makes ahuge difference. It all sounds amazing . Be careful and stay in touch. Love you x

  Mum May 9, 2009 8:03 PM

3

Jeezzzz thats why mum was on the comp earlier when I called pendu bhai!!! MUM IS REPLYING TO A BLOG?! Hahahaha!!!! Sounds good, mum relayed your msg to me, and said, 'seema arrived safely, shes going for phad thai (thats a dish you know Rayna...)' hahaha priceless! Sounds amazing, get some pics up soon, or even send me a postcard!!! Will FB you my new address xxx

  Rayna May 10, 2009 1:00 AM

4

Still so jealous! Bangkok is awesome. Sounds like a great start to your trip. Lots of piccies please!

  Kapi & Hemal May 10, 2009 7:53 PM

5

Jealous. Message ends.

  Francesca May 11, 2009 9:50 PM

6

Hey 'lil Ben, Sounds fab and you've hardly started!!! and you can cook us a thai when you get back!!. Have fun and take care, lots of love The Schofies xx

  Minyben May 13, 2009 7:32 AM

7

Hey zimmy,

We really liked your story and decided to feature it this week so that other readers can enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

World Nomads

  World Nomads Jun 1, 2009 10:04 AM

About zimmy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.