Existing Member?

Red Shoe Diary

Reunion

ECUADOR | Thursday, 27 October 2011 | Views [302] | Comments [1]

Papa and mama chatted over breakfast and the snippets we got suggested that papa was playing his accordian at a music event. They invited us along saying there would be music, with several people playing, singing and dancing. I asked if it was a cafe and if papa played regularly and I am sure I was told yes, cafe, and the playing happened not regularly but quite often.  OK, why not? Lets go to watch and listen to some people getting together in a cafe with their instruments and everybody getting up to play or sing as the audience dance. Well, our listening skills are not up to scratch.  We were both a little confused when we were shown into a private house and then found ourselves sitting at the bedside of an elderly lady with mama. Gradually I realised a family resemblance as a stilted conversation happened about the elderly lady's lack of appetite. Was the elderly lady coming to the club? Was her house on the way to the live music cafe? Suddenly, we were up and we were leaving. I headed for the stairs but was directed up not down? On the third floor of this palacial house there was a room with chairs laid out in a cricle and in an adjoining room, a table laid with snacks and drinks. The light started to dawn. I avoided eye contact with Richito.

After a few minutes some others arrived and over the next 10 minutes some 20 people arrived, 1 carrying a guitar. Papa struck up with the accordion and the chap with the guitar started to strum along; a few started to sing and soon most were singing.  Richito had his eye on the chap mixing the rum and coke whilst I smiled desperately trying to hide my confusion. A few moments later I was handed a mask with purple feathers  (I hasten to add others were also given some form of concealing head gear, I was not a special case for hiding) and the singing got into full swing.  As the afternoon became evening, most of the guests had been called upon to sing solo and had obliged with a song or 3, accompanied by the guitar or accordian, and I had a panic that I might be asked to sing! Imagine my relief when I finally got the connection; these people all sung in a church choir together and they were gathered at the house of the elderly lady for a 'reunion' as the said lady could no longer go along. And that is how we managed to spend 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon/evening at a choir reunion.

Comments

1

For a minute there I thought that it was the Old Lady's funeral!!!!!! Glad it was just a choir reunion! x

  Jo Lee Nov 2, 2011 3:32 PM

About zapatosrojos


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.