Existing Member?

yu-en-me ´a man who leaves home to mend himself and others is a philosopher, .. he who goes from country to country guided by blind impulses of curiosity is .. a vagabond.´ - oliver goldsmith

Re: Out of Office Auto-Reply

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [803]

my kitchen and main workplace for 10 weeks

my kitchen and main workplace for 10 weeks

although i´ve never particularly wanted to have an out of office auto-reply, i now have the opportunity: i found work! or rather, work found me!
i´m cooking for a team of 11 building a house on an aptly named ´lago del desierto´ (´deserted lake´), in the middle of nowhere. to get to this, you leave from El Chaltén (the place where i wanted to get to off the Ruta 40 that i wrote about before), take a 2 hour trip along a bad gravel road (needing to get out and walk in places, because the road´s too bad for the full weight), then take a small boat for 20 - 30 mins (depending on weather) across to a sheltered cove where a couple´s building a house.
i´m cooking for 12 people in total, using an open fire which i have to maintain the whole day (i suck! i´ve never had to do this before, and it´s a disaster! i´m so glad no one else is willing to do this, so that they´re too scared to get rid of me..), running between the sheltered part where i´m chopping, to another sheltered part where i wash, and finally to the open fire.
the director, architect, and i all have our own tents, the 8 boys and 1 girl share a common sheltered living space.
it´s fun, i´m learning so much each day, and it´s a mini-break from being on the go. but it´s very isolated, and i doubt i´ll be replying to any of you until we stop construction in mid-may (when it starts to snow).
so until then....
(photos: 'lago del desierto' gallery)

Tags: Work

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.