Existing Member?

yu-en-me ´a man who leaves home to mend himself and others is a philosopher, .. he who goes from country to country guided by blind impulses of curiosity is .. a vagabond.´ - oliver goldsmith

Für den Flug benötigt Eloy Martin Auskünfte über die Abflugzeiten.

ARGENTINA | Wednesday, 4 July 2007 | Views [2455]

puerto bertrand

puerto bertrand

12.56am: roughly 8 hours to go before i start the next leg of my journey, and lordy, am i pumped! like any normal kid growing up in western civilisation, i have several times been high as a kite from the effects of too much chocolate, off-my-face smashed, and occasionally flying on grass, but i tell you what, *nothing* gets me higher than the excitement of knowing i´m about to set off again. ...but i´m getting ahead of myself; after such a long silence, shouldn´t i be recapping what i´ve done so that you can at least have a background to what i´m going to do? a lot´s happened in the last few months, and on many levels (emotionally, physically, mentally, ...), so bear with me if this reads too much like a dot-point school report...

despite the overcrowded, touristy feel of southern Chile´s Torres del Paine National Park, i have to say that the 8-day 125km hike i did there is one of my highlights of this trip. blessed with excellent weather (with only a few days´ light drizzle), the week-and-a-bit was such an enjoyable exercise in knowing how far i could push my body beyond pain barriers. one day involved almost 30km with open blisters on both feet, and 2 hours worth of cringeing as both thighs cramped with *every single step*. it was the longest hike that i´ve done independently (ie, not having a planned buddy to share the weight of pots, food, tent...), and i loved it, - just thinking about it again sends a little tingle all over my body (and as i write this, i´m beginning to realise that i have slightly masochistic tendencies)! in a couple of weeks´ time, i plan to tackle a slightly longer segment, but on a road winding through part of the provincia of Salta: an irresistible idea as soon as i saw the photo at the following site: <<http://www.hotelmanantial.com.ar/cuesta.htm>>. go to the site; i promise you´ll understand where i´m coming from.

sign in a public bathroom: ´please only urinate here´. i was very tempted to do a Borat-inspired number, but the absence of ziplock bags foiled my plans.

not surprisingly, phsyical challenges are a lot easier to overcome than the mental ones: the working stint that i did soon after the Torres del Paine trek (mentioned in the last email) was an exercise of a totally different kind: testing my discipline and ability to commit when there were so many other tempting options on the side. working and living 10 weeks with 9 young´uns from northern argentina (age range 19 - 25yo), i quickly learnt that there´s a lot to be said for humility that the greater part of western education seems to omit. don´t get me wrong; the benefits of self-confidence and high self-esteem are immeasurable, but i think we´re sometimes tricked into thinking that the belief that you can do anything you want (if you want it bad enough) is a right rather than a luxury. but aside from the philosophical, the 2-and-a-half months at Lago del Desierto also gave me much experience in lighting and maintaining fires in the rain/wind/snow, cooking for 12 over an open fire, and chopping wood, - things that look great on any life-CV!

in general, in spite of the ´urgh, geez, not again´ feeling when you wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee, i´m getting to quite like the thrill of unzipping the tent, scuttling 20m to the nearest bush to wave my bottom for all the nightworld to see, and scurrying back to the warmth of my sleeping bag. it´s the simple pleasures, really...

from Lago del Desierto, i jumped straight into the next stage of travels: roadtrippin´ with a couple of froggies whom i´d met in the south of chile, at a mutual friend´s wedding. seems like a bout of the runs and accepting dubious medical advice (´drink coke, it´ll help´) is all i needed for an instant connection to spring up at the wedding reception, and for over a month, i took it easy cruising in the back of the car that the 2 friends had bought. although it was a luxury to not have to worry about transport, or where to stay (the last resort being sleeping in the car), car travel is decidedly not for me, at least not in south america, where there is so much rich human life/company out there to enjoy. (roadtripping around australia, on the other hand, is definitely on the to-do list...). feeling increasingly claustrophobic, but at the same time wanting to stay with them, made for a tough decision, and eventually, the fact that i was getting knarky and irritating even myself led me to leave them for a couple of weeks.

i´ve finally found a decent guide to self-taught German, and can´t wait to find out how Eloy Martin fares in the Reisebüro. paralinguistically, it´s going to be fun finding out if i´m going to make spanish-transference mistakes (the guide´s in spanish), or if i´ll make the same mistakes as any english-speaker... since i anticipate the majority of you glazing over with boredom here, i´ll take my leave. ´til next time!


(more photos: 'roadtrippin with the froggies' gallery)

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.