Existing Member?

yu-en-me ´a man who leaves home to mend himself and others is a philosopher, .. he who goes from country to country guided by blind impulses of curiosity is .. a vagabond.´ - oliver goldsmith

from the outside looking in, to the inside looking around

PERU | Saturday, 18 August 2007 | Views [694]

street scene in lima, mototaxi in foreground

street scene in lima, mototaxi in foreground

after my little cycling escapade in argentina, i came straight to peru (lima, to be exact,) to meet up with pamela, my workmate-cum-friend while i was in santiago,chile. she had come back home for her 3-week holiday, and it was a great opportunity to get to know her family, friends, city, - in short, *her*, - through her eyes.
if i´d been alone, i would have given peru´s capital city a cursory visit anyway (my curiosity dating back to primary school when constable sharon taught us the military alphabet - lima being 1 of only 2 cities in the code, and sounding so much more exotic than quebec), but i would probably have done a touristic circuit, visiting the main attractions. as it was, however, i spent 10 days peppering Pame with questions about everything, and learning more about local ´habits´ (for want of a better word) than i ever could have through a guidebook or from the tourist information.
as a random example: the intracity bus companies are privately owned, and there´s lots of them, leading to quite a bit of competition as various companies travel the same route. as a result, the fare-collectors lean out the door shouting their respective bus´s destinations, and waving as many passengers onboard as possible before rival buses arrive. since the more of the route the bus covers, the more passengers get on, these usually grumpy-faced fellows are quite anxious to waste as little time as possible for trivial details such as passenger safety or polite service. cries of ´come on, hurry up, get on/off!´, accompanied by (sometimes not-so-)gentle shoves while the bus was still moving were the standard. the whole affair can be quite intimidating to a newcomer, and i imagine almost terrifying if you don´t speak spanish - throughout the whole time that i was in lima, i never once saw another tourist on a bus.
another interesting aspect of the bus system was the presence of ´sapos´ (literally ´toads´) near the main busstops. as each bus passes, these guys note down the time, the bus company, and the route that that particular bus is travelling. this valuable information is bought by the fare-collector (usually just a coin or two is given) so that he can judge whether to tell the driver of his bus to slow down (if there´s competition too close ahead) or speed up (if there´s a lag since the last bus along that route) in order to maximise passenger pick-up. sometimes these sapos are actually employed by the bus companies, but others freelance their toadiness!
of course, with food never far from my mind, having Pame explain all the strange and wonderful food items on offer was the best! so many different varieties of corn cooked and prepared in so many different ways, roadside vendors with everything from grilled banana to roasted barley drinks, sweet potato and yam chips instead of the regular variety... and the meat! (i´m no longer vegetarian, preferring to try everything at least once) stirfried cow stomach, skewered chunks of heart, cebiche (fish or other seafood cooked in spiced lemonjuice) ... and guinea pigs! roasted, baked, fried, boiled... can´t wait to try the llama dishes in the altiplano...
on a more intimate level, it was a pleasure to spend time in Pame´s home. her family would be slotted into the lower middle class, which means that while they´ve got a home, the family budget is pretty tight. bills have to be prioritised (as opposed to all of them being paid on time), and there are various installations/repairs in the house that have been set for a later date. some examples include putting doors in the doorways (at the moment, curtains are all that separate the closet-sized ´bathroom´, and the girls´ room from the main stretch running through the house (to call this stretch a ´hallway´ or ´corridor´ would be a joke)); putting glass in the windows (currently partly boarded up with plywood, with a bit of space at the top for ventilation); and regulating the hotwater system (my first few showers were spent electrifying myself when i switched on the hot water, but this problem was soon solved when the fuse broke and i showered with cold water for the rest of my stay). but as Pame wrote to me before i arrived, ´my house is tiny in size, but big in heart´, and nothing could be more true!
(for more photos: 'lima' photo gallery)

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.