Existing Member?

Kicking myself all the way

Mechanical issues

USA | Monday, 6 July 2015 | Views [147]

My last proper day of riding took me the 75 miles from Chile's capital, Santiago, to its Pacific-side mate Valparaiso, where I was shipping Xavier back to San Diego from.

For the last 11,000 odd miles, despite all the long days Xavier had had no mechanical issues apart from his clutch slipping slightly on steeper hills and severe headwinds, starting about 1,000 miles back (nothing too worisome for me as he still pulled away from a stop without it slipping so I 'knew' I could just keep ploughing on).

I found the (unsigned as usual!) hostel, the eccentric Villa Kunterbunt, where they would also be helping me arrange Xaiver's shipping on top of being a hostel. Actually, 'hostel' is too kind really, even after the places I have seen on this trip! It is basically a shabby Victorian, a good walk out of the town area, and the whole vibe is that of a house stay at your distracted Aunt and Uncles. Quirky, cold, clutterred. A nice couple though, and for the last 20 years they have ruled the niche of providing paid assistance in shipping and receiving motorcycles, some cars, and the occassional Moog into and out of South America. Definately an invaluable service, so I forced myself to take the accomodations in my stride.

So what am I trying to say here? Oh yeah, mechanical issues ...

On arrival at the 'Villa' I was told that Xavier should be nice and clean for the Chilean (and Californian) Customs inspections, so I took him to a local garage where he had his first wash of the trip! Not counting the insectercide spraydowns he endured in 10 out of 11 countries we visited - Mexico was the only one that didn't do it.

Being a kickstart only dirt bike, Xavier didn't come with a battery as it relied on the engine to supply the leccy. For this trip I had installed a 10-pack of rechargeable AA batteries so that I would be able to leave the lights, and or indicators, on when the engine was off - just in case I ever needed to, which although I did not travel anywhere near the hours of darkness, I did need in various stops on foggy or sand blown roadsides.

One vigorous jet wash later, Xavier and I returned to the 'Villa', where I noticed the turn signals were making the headlight blink at the same frequency, and I saw 1/2 inch of water in the headlight case. I got in there, dried it out, tested it and everything was now back to normal. Nice.

The next day we left in convoy to the Customs dry storage yard about 15 miles inland, with me following their pickup truck carrying the flat packed shipping crate Xavier would be in. Xavier started 1st kick - I was SO proud of the little guy - and it wasn't till a mile or so down the road that I realised his indicators were now not working, or his horn, in fact none of his lights!

Well I ain't doing anything now - my arms can be my indicators, old school.

I always knew bathing was asking for trouble, thats why I haven't got sick over the last 3 months I reckon .....

About yoshic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.