Existing Member?

Kicking myself all the way

Small bike. Huge (s)miles

USA | Wednesday, 1 July 2015 | Views [158] | Comments [1]

I am so happy with my choice of motorbike, as I took a rather unorthodox path when deciding on basically a medium sized dirt bike to do what most 'bikers' do on larger, or way larger more road oreientated machines such as the Kawasaki KLR 650, or BMW R800 or 1200 GS.

My rational was that this had to be a voyage of discovery, trust and self affirmation. My first time as a solo traveller, my first time dealing with taking a vehicle into and through foreign countries, all in a language I was trying to learn as I went. 

After 13 years behind the mast of 'at-home' parenting I felt the need to set a line in the sand, quite literally as it has turned out, for me to force myself to reckon with, to step over and into the next phase of my life. My kids, now on the cusp of their teenage and young adulthood years don't need the level of immediate proximal attention they did as babies through toddler's to young elementary students. A strong, centred father will benefit them far more now, as they begin to navigate their confusing years ahead.

By choosing a trip, and a motorbike with few modern amenities or comforts I sought to prove to myself that not only I was up for it, but also that the world would allow it, if that makes sense? My 3 month window to cover such a large distance, through so many foreign and 'difficult' countries did not allow for long delays for major mechanical or personal problems. I had to trust that not only would I be ok (safe on the road and in the societies I was travelling through) but that my bike would look after me safely and mechanically too.

In the motorcycle 'adventure' bike arena, thrust into the general public by Ewan MacGregor in 'Long Way Around', this catagory has become synonymous with the BMW R800 and more - so it's big brother the R1200GS, with the BMW reliability, electric start, comfy ergonomics and vast luggage capabilities. In stark contrast I chose a kickstart only, oil cooled, skinny seated 400 cc single, with no engineered luggage capacity, but a solid reputation as a Baja bike. 

I would have to kickstart the bike every time to start it. No lazy days for me. If I hurt myself in the middle of nowhere ...

To further convinces myself to trust,  not only did I do all the pre-ride servicing and major engine modifications myself, I learnt how to weld and made a luggage frame for the 2 medium sized Pelican cases which have become my home from home. So many potential failure points, like life itself. Be brave, be positive yet realistic. Trust.

And it worked! I have had the time of my life - bad days happened of course, but nothing that I couldn't tackle, learn to cope with, or move on past. Replacing vital lost bolts in small rural villages, finding a welder in a small city the morning of a border crossing, or trusting strangers with help when I ran out of petrol, or got lost.

All of these mundane affirmations of trust have resonated through me, and I sincerely hope, have settled into my core.

 

Comments

1

Well said and good choices O wise and well travelled one!

  Roger Jul 10, 2015 11:27 AM

About yoshic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.