Existing Member?

Marty's World Journal

Any random day

VIETNAM | Thursday, 9 August 2012 | Views [502]

It was sound advice to be giving after a month in Vietnam. “One thing a day” I was saying to Daniel. “If you get one thing done a day you can be happy”. We were talking about getting our bikes fixed, but it applies to most things in Vietnam. The wheels turn slowly and the six things you have on your To-do List will take six according days to complete. I was surprised today when I took stock and realized that I had broken my own rule.

Id like to give a sample of a single day. But giving a list of a days events without context wont make much sense. So, a brief history. Arriving back in Hanoi from Ha Long Bay the day prior, I met an old friend, Daniel, buying a baguette, as I turned into the street in which I was staying. Having not seen each other for a week we agree to catch up for beers in a few hours as he’s riding north the next day. My mission is to advertise my bike first. Having written the ad for Suzi 125 I get a fresh pair of eyes to check it over for mistakes. Suzanne has arrived in Hanoi four days prior and is on a 6 month break. She gives it the once over and after a few minor changes the Ad is good to go. Beers are on and Suzanne is up for coming along with me, Daniel and now Uri and Noga for a drink. Daniel, Uri and Noga are planning on heading to Sapa on the bikes the following day and im planning on heading the day after that. Suzanne had planned to take the train to Sapa, but seeing as I’ve got space on my bike I offer it, and, as anyone with a sense of adventure does, she replies yes.

 Any random day: Thursday 9 August 2012 - Hanoi

Waking up before your alarm is always a nice start to the day. Beating my 6:30 alarm by 15 minutes I check my phone for emails and messages on Skype, Viber and Facebook. I’ve got 45 minutes to get ready before meeting Suzanne for breakfast. Plenty of time to take it easy as the other six people in the dorm aren’t even stirring and I wont have to wait (or feel guilty) while spending my time in the single bathroom.  Getting ready as quietly as I can I pack a small day pack and a bag of laundry which I need to have done before heading off the next day. There’s a free breakfast of bread, preserves, tea, coffee and bananas provided by the hostel. Im halfway through when Suzanne arrives. We had agreed the night before to meet at 7am as we both want to go and see the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.

Strolling the street towards the Mausoleum I drop off my laundry and we find a moto rider by St Josephs Cathedral. A negotiation later and the three of us (moto drive, Suzanne and I) are on a single bike headed to the Mausoleum. After a short wait and passing through metal detectors and a mountain of guards we’re inside the Mausoleum to see Uncle Ho (ONE). While in the area we check out the Presidential Palace (TWO), the HCM Museum (THREE) and the Botanical Gardens (FOUR). Walking back to the Hostel I spot Daniels bike and ten seconds later Daniel. He’s getting ready to head to Sapa and we excitedly say we’ll see him in a few days. Back at the hostel I prepare some posters for selling my bike, get them printed and hang them up (FIVE). I also pay some bills and send some emails (SIX). I need to get the broken rack on Suzi 125 fixed so I pick her up to get some welding done. 20m from the car park she dies. I had half expected this as the gremlin in the charging system from Phong Nha was always waiting to rear its head and she had been sat up for four days. As quick as I can get off the bike a young Vietnamese guy is guiding me to his store and motioning that he can fix it. An hour or so later and with a new voltage regulator/rectifier Suzi’s charging system is firing. I had always anticipated this was going to be a problem so getting it out of the way now was reassuring before heading to the remote northern roads (SEVEN).

A few stalls later and I find a welding shop and get the pannier fixed (EIGHT). While the mechanic is doing this I make the most of being in a city and stock up on a few essential items (NINE). A storm is looming as I park Suzi up for the night and head back to the hostel. Just as I walk in the door the rain hits. Timing! As the weather is bad I spend the rest of the afternoon planning the route north (NINE) and blogging (TEN). Ten things done and its only 6pm. And that reminds me. Laundry (ELEVEN). Shit, im finally working this place out.      

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.