Existing Member?

Marty's World Journal

Run in with the boys in khaki

VIETNAM | Friday, 6 July 2012 | Views [475]

So today Suzi 125 and I found the only speed camera in Vietnam! We had crossed the border from Cambodia back to Vietnam about an hour before and were cruising in the car lane, just coming out of a town. A man dressed in khaki jumped into the middle of the road waving a baton and blowing a whistle. Luckily i had been pushing Suzi a bit hard coming into town and was taking it easy to allow her to cool down a bit. Still, apparently 55 was not easy enough. After pulling off to the side of the road, receiving a salute (and not knowing if i should salute back) my passport was taken and i was told to wait. Two minutes later the officer returned and showed me a nice picture of Suzi and I cruising along, at 55, in a 40 zone. Bracing to pull out my wallet, and maybe my hidden stash of US$, the cop spoke in broken english "S-A-F-E-L-Y" handed me my passport and motioned to the road.

There are two speed limits for motorbikes is Vietnam. 40 in towns and 60 outside of town. Lessons learnt - there are actually speed cameras in Vietnam! Pay attention when getting near the edge of towns and dont speed as this is where they put the cameras.    

Tags: stopped for speeding

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.