Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

Teaching the Troops

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 26 November 2008 | Views [605]

Teaching, travelling and living. Not a bad way to see the world eh? In the meantime however, one has to put up with sudden pangs of horror. “Oh Christ, I’m actually a teacher and therefore expected…” Whilst row upon row of young eyes bear into me, judging every facet of my existence, I’m there trembling and silently screaming “why!”

Such interior monologues often arise when sitting in a workshop given by your employer, or the first moments of walking into a classroom. It hits like a gut punch where all you can see in that starry eyed daze are the school days of past and a fresh faced young you swearing to yourself to never self-flagellate in such a masochistic way. “Never be a teacher”, you sit there reminding yourself. Well now you are, the promise is broken, so let the torture commence.

So you use your little cardboard swimmer named Ben and an island in desperate attempts to control the rowdy bunch. You threaten with worksheets, with warnings, with calls home to parents. You entice with sweets, fake money, novelty certificates and trips to the computer room. You have become that person. The kind of person who wears bowties, gets prescription glasses and cries themselves to sleep almost every night. The kind of person who believes in corporal punishment and harks back joyfully to the days of the cane. The kind of person who seeks solace in the staff room surrounded by other egotists and power mad dictators. The kind of person who lives to write in diaries like this, bordering on a daily obsession, Notes on a Scandal almost. The kind of person who becomes a sociopath, a psychopath and more.

All in the name of travelling. All in the name of finance. All in the name of folly and youth.

Tags: abroad, celta, efl, english, teaching, tefl, tesol, vietnam

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.