Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

I'm a Little Xe Om Driver

VIETNAM | Monday, 1 December 2008 | Views [1229]

I’m a little xe-om driver short and stout, I drive on two wheels, with my jacket inside out… My name is Phuc, which is hilarious to most of my customers.  I come from a long line of motorbike taxi drivers, my uncle drove the first Honda to ever arrive in Viet Nam way back in 1980. I eat pho for breakfast, again for lunch and finally for dinner. I have a largely disheveled appearance compensated only my big puppy dog eyes and toothless grin. I’ve learnt enough English to get by, I can say; ‘very far’, ‘where you go’, ‘motorbike’ - very practical, ‘where you from’ and I can quote any price in US dollars off the bat. I want to tell you the story of my day, it’s very interesting and I hope the reader can forgive any loose translations.

Firstly, I work my patch day and night. I rise at 6am, play a bit of Badminton, get to my corner at 7am and wait and stare all day long for some luckless foreigner. When I see said foreigner I shall accost them both vicariously and aggressively until unwillingly that foreigner asks to either a) go to the palace of reunified bodies, or, b) go to some quaint little haunt in the backpacker area. Feigning ignorant to any answer that is not these two destinations is the usual process, as is grabbing their map or directions and jabbing my long talon along its seams. If the foreigner is either a) a youthful man or b) a youthful woman, I shall proceed to comment on their appearance and make them feel as uncomfortable as possible. It’s customary in their culture to feel stuffy and irritated. Doing this also ensures that they will always come back to Phuc – crazy motorbike man, day after day.

When my day is shaping up to be a good one, being that some fresh faced young whippersnapper has no real sense of cost, I pay a visit to Crazy Fashions Ltd and purchase for my daughter the latest trendy gear. She likes the garish T-shirts best, the ones emblazoned with big English slogans like “I’m a hard habit to break” or “My boyfriend doesn’t know I’m gay”. She wears these every Tet, we do laugh, Jane and I. Jane’s my partner, she is the lonesome divorcee of a sexpat gone AWOL up the Mekong Delta. The horror, the horror.

Anyway, my day usually gets done at about 10pm when I go and hit the bia hoi. There I get me some lovely snails and if I’m a little more hungry a bit of flat squid. I usually just sit and watch other people. It’s good this xe-om business. I’ll be around for a while yet. Thanks for listening and if you’re ever in town, well you know who to call. I’ll be growing my fingernail in anticipation.

 

Tags: driving, motorbike, saigon, vietnam, xe-om

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.