Existing Member?

William's Walk The Great Walk on the Great Wall of China is fantastic. As the son of a cancer victim, I take great pleasure doing my share towards fighting cancer. Walking on the Great Walk is so challenging, but I will beat it, just like we’re going to beat cancer…

Back in Beijing

CHINA | Monday, 28 April 2008 | Views [786]

the Badaling section of the Great Wall

the Badaling section of the Great Wall

Just arrived in Beijing, with the warm welcome of the ground service arranged by Olivia Greenberg, everything is smooth and in order.

It was at the beginning of 2004, when I last visited Beijing. It was very cold in mid-winter. I was climbing the same part of the Great Wall, the Badaling section; but what I felt then was the nearly irresistible cold. My father had just passed away then due to last stage of liver cancer. I stood on the highest step of Badaling, helpless and dismayed. I knew I had to be strong toward the future without him.

Now, Beijing has changed a lot. The streets are broader and cleaner. It seems that the government has done lots of renovation work to the city; the cab driver said this was for the coming Olympics, but I do hope this is not especially just for a single event but for the everyday public.

This time, I’m going to participate in the “Great Walk” on the Great Wall, to help raise the funds for fighting cancer! I’m interested and excited, because I have the chance to do something for those who suffer from cancer. However, when my father was there lying in the bed with helpless injections, I could do nothing.

Tomorrow, I’m going to meet the organizers. I will know the details of the last stage of the Walk, on Badaling.

Thanks to Worldnomads.com and Bupa International, who are sponsors to the fundraising campaign as well as sponsoring my participation.

Let’s see on the Wall…

Tags: beijing, bupa international, cancer, cancer support, china, great walk to beijing, olivia newton-john, williams walk, world nomads, worldnomads.com

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.