Existing Member?

An epic year This is the blog of ELlie and Emily on their journey to beyond! Enjoy :)

Too many horns.

INDIA | Tuesday, 23 February 2010 | Views [977] | Comments [1]

Ellie here - So we had a pretty surreal evening the night before last and momentarily thought it could of been the larium’s (antimalarial drugs) hallucinations taking full effect – good ones obviously!  This was all at Chokie Dani which we were recommeded for dinner as it has classic indian food , dancing and a generally cheerful atmosphere. We expected a restaurant but  couldn’t of been more wrong – we had entered this other world of circus acts, dancing on numerous stages, musicians, palm readers, magicians, henna artists and  soo much more!! I ended up being lured onto a dancing stage with this mini indian Michael Jackson! I tried to mimic his head weaving moves but soon I resorted to doing the beloved jig! Emily followed on after and showed up the classic dancing with a bit of “western beat.” Ooo and can’t forget the camels and elephants everywhere taking people for rides around the mini village. At first our appitites were driving us to explore the place at a swift speed to find all the amazing food that had been included in the price of entering this land of joy – yes this does mean all you can eat!! I’m sure you can imagine the excitement that was screaming inside me!  Eventually we found the food hut where we had to take out shoes off, wash our hands and eat aniseed before we went in. We realised that we have now found our niche in eating methods – sitting on the floor, using our hands to eat (note: not the left ...people wipe there  bums with their left hand), sitting at low tables and scoffing all this new and interesting food. Luckily Emily made friends with the man sitting next to her who soon became our  “food translator.” This helped minimise the complete surprise when tasting say what could only be described as meat porridge and other bizzare, non edible looking treats!  We got involved in and watched as much of the entertainment as we could. Of course we had to be “henna-ed” before we left which became a slight problem in the taxi as it was still drying!

The next morning we called our loyal rickshaw driver to take us to the pink city. We have had a few issues with rickshaw drivers in the few days we’ve been here but this one who we call “bonobo”  got unusually attacted to his new found friends -  He moped in the back of his rickshaw when we had to refuse his service for an actual car and was visibly upset when we declined his offer to take us to stay in his home!  Aaaaanyway we walked around the pink city, got very lost and improved our haggeling whist purchasing some more appropriate clothing. Blahblahblah..the day went on with other fun stories and ended up in a phone store to buy a sim card which proved a lot more challenging than presumed! Emily had 20 passport sized photographs taken of her, she had to sign 20 forms and her life away to this Airtel company. So we are now contactable by phone – (0091)9799179844! Ha and the guy serving us called after  10mins and after saying that it was a confirmation call he asked emily out as he liked her picture!! I wish she said yes…purely for comedic value!  

We met a seemingly genuine rickshaw driver called Rishi who took us to Tiger Fort where we wanted to watch the sunset – aw how romantic!We started a long trek up a steep cobbled pathway, but ended up hiching a lift on two motobikes the rest of the way up to the top because we’re lazy! The view was breathtaking and we found a great spot to just chill and watch all the happenings of the city far below.  We were told by a passing guide and his travellers that it wouldn’t be a good idea to walk back down after dark as it was beginning to get dodgy…the rampant youths were arriving in their masses for their regular piss up.  (*R.R.R.R – Rapping Roobs*)Ah man there must be a quote from lord of the rings to shove in here….gandalf…the storm I scoming!

Ellie’s brain has become over-heated with all this thinking so I’ve taken over on the typing duties so miss mental here can have a nap. Anyway, we also had to skiddadle from this Fort Tiger because as Ellie tried to explain earlier, a storm was brewing, and we were on top of a mountain… in the middle of lightning (IN THE EYE OF THE STORM). We were walking back (very swiftly!) and were kidnapped/saved by the nice tour guide in his car. We got a ride  down from him and were kept dry from the monsoon. When we finally got back to the hotel we ran upstairs to chomp on some food which was AMAZE… while we enjoyed  it we watched an epic lightning storm (Ellie has never seen a lightning bolt! Shocker!) which was surrounding us on the rooftop. I think we were a bit knackered from all the male attention that we got yesterday… India’s perception of western women/women in general can be VERY frustrating. There seemed to be more people watching us instead of the sunset up at the fort! (Harmless, but exhausting).

Today we’re headed off to Pushkar which is apparently “Hippy paradise”… something that would suit Ellie and I beautifully. Hoping for less of the hustle, bustle and horn-honking than we’ve found in Jaipur (we say that, but we still love the chaos).

Tags: pink city, tiger fort

Comments

1

Ems! I am so happy you are in India, I love reading this blog, you and Ellie crack me up and take me back many years, thank you for that. I just wanted to say sounds like not much has changed with the Indian onslaught of male attention, they can be relentless, covering yourselves in clothes that don't cling and covering your legs and shoulders can help a bit sounds like you went shopping to accomplish that - the tunic over pants they wear I want to say is called salwar kameez i think they are easily found in Rajasthan where you are would be comfortable to travel in, Pushkar was good for clothes like that tailor made if you want. Too bad you aren't there for the Camel festival in November but it is peaceful without that craziness. Beware the Bang Lassi. Oh what else can I say other than likely you will still get crazy attention because you are western and gorgeous girls no matter what. Have they sat with you and had their photos taken as if they are on holiday and you are the tourist attraction? - always found that funny. I LOVE INDIA and I love you Emily SO psyched you are there x oxoxoxo Alyce and Jacob xoxoxoxo

  Alyce Feb 24, 2010 2:36 PM

About wilding-bartlett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.