Existing Member?

Velocity:Inertia Stories of my Adventures

I guess it's not every day that you're afraid you're going to get arrested in Hong Kong.

HONG KONG | Wednesday, 2 September 2015 | Views [351] | Comments [1]

Hokay. 

my life is weird. 

long story short, after weighing pros and cons, I decided to come home and recommence my trip in October. 

Definitely will change things budget wise, but it wil ultimately work out. 

Im not giving up. I just realized that I was physically and emotionally not where I needed to be to sustain 3 months of traveling. 

My set in stone, cannot -be -changed tickets were in the latter half of the trip. If I was going to do this, it had to be soon. 

And man, was I ready. What better place to recover from feeling shitty (literally) than home? I did my fair share of beating myself up about it.... Not feeling good enough, feeling embarrassed. at the end of it all though, a couple of my friends and family made a really good point: this trip is for me and I don't have to do it on anyone else's terms. The most important thing is being content rather than pushing myself too hard because I'm worried about what other people will think. 

I will still update this blog in the mean time regarding trip plans and international news.

So you are probably still wondering about the Hong Kong Thing referenced in the title.

Did I mention that my life is weird? 

It is. my connecting flight between Delhi and Chicago was in Hong Kong. I had a 2 hour layover. I had packed my bags and gone to the airport with less than 2 hours sleep. The Delhi security people looked right at the mace I forgot to put in my checked backpack and still let me through. 

Not hong kong Security.

They pulled my green jan sport backpack/carry on and explained it was because of the mace. Totally naive and friendly, (I had finally managed some sleep on the plane), I apologized profusely. Explaining that Delhi had not cared and that they could just throw it away/confiscate it. 

"Oh, no ma'am we actually have to call the police for this." They started asking me if I knew people in Hong Kong and why I was there. They then sat me down facing away but still in plain (plane?) sight of other travelers and 4 or 5 people started quickly pushing papers around and talking on walkie talkies. 

I started to cry. Not loud, just... What did this mean? Was I getting arrested, in Hong Kong????? Not as bad but still bad.. Would I miss my flight?

once I could get a word in edgewise to ask, they gave a look as if to go.... Ooooh that's why she's crying!

They sent me on my way in less than 20 minutes after I signed a paper acknowledging I brought something I shouldn't have there. The very respectful female police officer explained that she realizes people can carry mace in other countries and sometimes this happens. She said Id have to go to court of it happened again after the one warning. 

Wow. What a day. I have never been so happy to be home.

Tags: hong kong

Comments

1

Wow, what a nerve racking experience! Detained and interrogated, lord have mercy. Who would have thought that your precautions would require precautions. Lol. Safe travels! Ur in my thoughts and prayers. <3 you

  Nicole Sep 9, 2015 12:12 PM

About wheresmypants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.