Existing Member?

Where In The World

Sounds of Travel

MOROCCO | Sunday, 10 June 2007 | Views [942] | Comments [1]

Goat Pile OAURZAZATE

Goat Pile OAURZAZATE

One of the great things about travelling is that you have the opportunity to learn things about yourself and what I've discovered is that public transportation makes me sleepy!

We decided to spend the night in the desert and in order to get to Ouarzazate from Marrakesh we had to take a local bus. Our trip was to be approximately 5 hours long on the bus, which I slept through. Now getting to the desert isn't exactly the easiest thing. Once in Ouarzazate we took a 4 hour grand taxi cab ride (slept through), followed by a 2 hour grand taxi cab ride (slept through MOST), and finally another 1 hour cab ride which of course, if you've caught on, I slept through. It is here that I would especially like to thank Josh who was my pillow...err I mean pillar of support through all of my 'times of relaxation'.

Now for the 2nd cab ride I would like to mention that I tried to sleep through all of it but was consistently distracted by the cries of 11 goats and 1 sheep which we had tied to our roof! No joke. We stopped at a place which I can only describe as a goat trade where we picked up a roof load of farm animals. The poor things were tied by their legs and then tossed onto the scorching roof where they were piled onto one another to form a living mountain. So our 2 hour cab ride was filled with their 'Neighs' and the occassional 'Baaa'. I like to think they were enjoying the breeze through their fur as we raced down the road at 80 km/hr. We also quickly learned to roll our windows up as it was better to have 7 people (yes 7 people in a tiny cab, good thing I'm small) suffocate in a car, in the desert, with no A/C than to risk being bombarded by goat droppings! Understandably so as I guess the poor things were scared shitless!

So I've learned that I can easily sleep on buses, cabs, and possibly camels and to never be the sheep on the bottom of the pile...ewww.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi,Sharon!
This sounds like the ride of your dreams! Haven't you always told me that you would absolutely adore to ride in a taxi with sheep and goats tied on the top trying to poop on you? I know I remember that conversation correctly! I am so proud you got to live your dream!
PS This address is my home email and also my new name, which will be official in a couple of weeks.=)

  Beth Oct 25, 2007 11:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.