Existing Member?

Where In The World

Rat Race

HUNGARY | Tuesday, 30 October 2007 | Views [782]

Serenity

Serenity

It was only our first day and we could already see a difference between the paths we'd just traveled and those that lay ahead of us. While eating breakfast in Bhule Bhule we'd already lost count of the numerous trekkers that passed us with their porters and the clankety-clank of their hiking poles hitting the hard ground. Even the Nepalese were different to a degree. No longer were we greeted by the smiling tan faces filled with wonder and amusement. Instead all the "Namaste's" were now followed with "got pen?", "got chocolate?", "got Rupees?". Fortunately we were prepared for this bantering and our reply was always "No". Eventually theh crowds thinned out was the trail progressed but the beginning is like a giant rat race with people leaving in hordes. That's one of the benefits of getting a late start, most eveyone has already left, leaving you to enjoy the scenery undisturbed. We were fortunate in that we never had problems with finding accommodation, even though we were nearly the last to arrive. Another perk of the trek is that even though you're travelling solo or in a small group, you quickly befriend those on the trail. Once everyone establishes their pace you're practically with the same people the entire trek, you see them at lunch stops and along the trail. Mealtimes are often spent eating together around a table talking about the days adventures and the curiosity of what lay ahead. We met many wonderful souls on the circuit (like Uolevi and KB) and though there is a lack of technology and gadgets while trekking the lines of communication are mind blowing. Days have passed since you've seen so-and-so but all you needed to do was ask a fellow trekker. In no time, you would have the latest update on that person: where he was now, what excitement may have occurred, where his next planned destination was. You could probably even find out what he or she ate for their last meal but I never bothered to ask about that one. With our new found buddies we found more to sing and joke about and so the journey continued.

 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.