Existing Member?

Where In The World

The Smoke that Thunders (Vic Falls)

ZAMBIA | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [862]

Victoria Falls

Victoria Falls

We arrived in Zambia with both excitement and sadness. Though it is home to Africa's famous Victoria Falls, a spectacular sight known around the world, it was also the final destination of our overland tour.

As soon as we entered Zambia our first goal was to visit Victoria Falls. Unfortunately, we were visiting in September which is the dry season and there wasn't much to see. We did catch a glimpse of them from the park but supposedly the view is much more spectacular from the Zimbabwe side (and we were in Zambia). However, travel to Zimbabwe at this moment is rather difficult due to the fuel and food shortage, inflation, and government 'issues'. Though it's not impossible, just arduous, and some of my fellow Acacia team members made their way across the border. Others involved themselves with whitewater rafting, elephant rides, lion encounters, and microlight flights. However, since I'm on a budget I skipped out on all of the above but still had a fun time exploring the town and enjoying the company of my friends.

That evening after setting up our tents for the last time, we prepared for our sunset river cruise or more popularly called 'The Booze Cruise'. For one price we cruised down the river, enjoyed a buffet dinner, and more importantly relished in the all-you-can-drink bar. Once we'd reached shore the partying continued at the camp's bar and we finished the night with more drinking and dancing. I have to mention this, at the risk of being killed by Sarah, but she has dance skills like no other...literally. On the dance floor she begins to mimic what we have dubbed the 'White Rhino' (obviously a result of mixing Africa with alcohol). If she sees you she will 'charge', coming at you with horns formed with her fingers, a good few swipes of the feet (as if preparing for attack), and a running lurch at full speed! No one was safe from 'the rhino' but it did have a favorite...poor Duncan! He took it well and it was all something we could laugh at in the morning.

Our last few days together were fun. Filled with adventure activities (though most of mine were spent at the market assisting people, not exactly fun but definitely adventurous and daring. If you've ever been in a 3rd world market then you will know what I mean and have sympathy for me going 4 times in one day!) and lots of laughter and photos. I will never forget the amazing time I had will these people and I can only hope they too will never forget. We've traveled (daily) for three weeks crammed on a non-A/C bus through deserts, dust storms, & sweltering heat. Never did we argue and rarely did we separate, we were the best of friends for those twenty-one days. My travels as a group has come to an end. I am somewhat hesitant as to what the days as an individual traveler will hold in store for me. I do know that I will miss the comforts of a group, the laughter, the singing, the breathtaking scenery, and surprisingly the bumpy roads of beautiful south Africa!

(And yes I did cry [like waterfalls] as we all parted and went our separate ways)

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.