Existing Member?

Where In The World

The Real Acacia

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 7 September 2007 | Views [1445]

the gang on our Acacia bus 'Mara'

the gang on our Acacia bus 'Mara'

"This is the true story...of twenty-four strangers...picked to live on a truck...work together, and have their lives 'taped'...to find out what happens when people stop being polite...and start getting real...The Real Acacia."

For those of you familiar with the 'reality' TV show The Real World, then you should know that this is what I felt our 3 week travels with a random group of strangers would be like.  We had signed up for an overland tour with the company Acacia, our tour guide was a Kenyan named Sammy and Letaloi our driver, also from Kenya.  We all met and gathered in a hostel in Cape Town and as I looked around the room, I took in my companions for the next 21 days.  It appeared to be a well-rounded group with a mix of couples and singles and a wide range of ages from 20 to those near retirement.  Also, our itinerary seemed exciting: head north from Cape Town through South Africa, travel up into Namibia, across Botswana, and finish in Zambia.  The days would be filled with game drives, river cruises, and the occassional early morning sunrise.  Glancing around the room you couldn't help wonder who you would love, who you may have confrontation with, and best of all who you'd have adventures with.  Hopefully it won't be as drama-filled as The Real World but apparently they did vote someone off the last trip like an episode from Survivor!  She wasn't really voted off but was asked to leave...YIKES I hope that won't be me!  

Tags: People

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.