Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 73 – 12th July 2015 Sunday – Nha Trang

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 13 July 2015 | Views [317]

Kevin was off on his bike at 5.30 and he now feels he Is in “the zone” and could ride forever. He rode 39.6km and did it in under 2 hours. He is very happy about his time and how good he now feels. After breakfast I headed to LHB on the beach as the pool area is still not set up for lounges. I managed to secure a thatched roof shelter as it was only 8.15am. I noticed there was a cruise ship in the harbour and soon after a bus load of Chinese turned up off the boat and invaded my peaceful oasis. On the lounges next to me a couple of American Vietnamese sat and I chatted with them for a while. They were off the cruise ship but had travelled by taxi instead of paying US$60 to come to LBH. Brian the Scot came at around 9.30 and carried on that someone from the cruise ship was sitting in his seats that he had reserved. This was all happening only 3m from me and it was an interesting conversation. Consequently the Chinese were moved and Brian settled down. Michael showed up shortly after and this helped calm Brian. Kevin arrived at 9.40am after a leisure’s breakfast.  We continued to talk with the couple from America and his background was very interesting as he sought refugee status in USA after the war. Kevin went off to have lunch while I stayed to secure our spot. He came back just after 1pm and another group of Vietnamese settled on the now free area next to us. They had about 10 family members on 2 lounges. They were very noisy. I got speaking with the father and his name is Tri and he is from HCMC. When Kevin came back I  then went off for lunch and to shower before going to the Nha Trang Hash House Harriers, a running / walking / drinking group. The HHH can be found around the world. I went to the meeting place at Patrick's Wine Bar and signed up for the walk. Cost VND $120k which includes the bus, water, beer and nibbles after. Well everyone, about 50 people are dressed in orange as an Irish guy is the Hare for the day and the groups official shirt is orange or blue. I wanted to buy a blue singlet but the didn't have my size. We all get on the bus and are off. I was talking to Maureen who is David Lowe’s wife (the guy Kevin knows who he played first class cricket with) and she told me David was in HCMC. We arrived at our destination which was out the road that Kevin rides his bike along and then turned left into a small village. We all get out and the rules are explained and we are off walking or running. Well the course wasn't marked all that well and the walkers got lost and we ended up following the runners course for a while and then we just went back to a point where we were on the right course and found a marker and finally got back to the bus. Drinks were on offer while the stragglers came in. They had to send people out to look for a couple of orphan children that hadn't come back yet. We are then given instructions for the second part of the walk. We were off again and ended up at a small bar restaurant where the Hash games began. They shamed a few people, gave awards to a few and in general acted like dickheads. I'm really pleased Kevin didn't come as he would have hated it and put the people down. I found it amusing and had spent time talking with another first timer, Alvin from San Diego and to Bob Snot Much who was from Sydney. Bob had been to Hashes in Pattaya. He was an interesting guy to talk with.  The punishment for people was to sit on a hessian bag of ice, scull a small drink and have beer poured over them.  On the way back the Hare sang songs which were quite amusing. I got back to the Hotel around 7.30 and Kevin soon came home from having dinner at Good Morning Vietnam – pizza again.  He told me he had chatted with Tri and his family after I left and that Tri has invited us to meet with him in HCMC when we are there. Kevin was quite taken with Tri. 

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.