Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 133 - 4th September 2014 To Walpole and Giant Tree Top Walk

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 7 September 2014 | Views [316]

Day 133 4th September 2014 Thursday. Kangaroos were again camped out. We got on the road by 9.00am and headed toward Walpole. Arrived at Rest Point Caravan Park and set up. We are located on the Walpole Inlet which is a small estuary connected through a narrow channel with the bigger and deeper Nornalup Inlet. This is the only place in WA that the Karri and Tingle Forest lap at the waters edge.  We pack a quick lunch and then head out exploring. We went first to Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk. The 600 m walkway rises 40m above the forest floor and it is a breathtaking experience with a bird’s eye view of the forest. Mum and I did the walk. The suspension bridge rocks with each step and can be quite frightening. We then took a meandering boardwalk that takes you through a grove of veteran tingle trees called the Ancient Empire. The Tingle trees are typically hollowed. We had lunch and then it was off to Conspicuous Cliff Beach which is also in the National Park. We parked and then walked the 200m boardwalk to the beach and it was breath taking. The sand squeaked when you walked on it. Dad was keen to do some salmon fishing but we didn’t have a rod. The limestone cliffs where very steep and there was a lookout on top for whale watching. We headed back to Walpole took Hilltop Road which is one way track that winds through an exceptional red tingle and Karri forest and went to the Hilltop Giant Tingle Tree that has a circumference of 24m and is supposed to be 450 yo. To get to the tree we had to take the 800m loop walk that meandered down to the tree. It was a little disappointing as it was a hollowed out tree. We then took Knoll Drive to Coalmine Beach and continued on to take in the knoll peninsula that divides the Nornalup and Walpole inlets. We decided to head home. I got my fishing rod out and went down to the pontoon and threw my line in along with 4-5 others. No-one was catching anything today. I got one bite and one small black bream that was undersize and had to go back. When it got too cold I packed up and went back for tea.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.