Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 79 11th July 2014 - Exploring Pt Hedland

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 13 July 2014 | Views [420]

Day 79 11th July 2014 Friday. All packed and ready to leave by 8.15am. Headed back along the dusty red road to the main highway and turned south. We are dreading going south as it means the cold weather is getting closer. We could see smoke up in the front of us and as we approached it we found there was burning off on the coast side of the road right up to the road. We could see the flames. Arrived in South Hedland before lunch and set up. The caravan park is full of mine workers and such with only a limited number of sites for tourists. The park is dusty but amenities are nice and large with lots of hot water. After lunch we headed to town to Wedge St and the Post Office to collect the gas struts and for mum to get her script. We then went to the visitor centre and gathered some info. Unfortunately we are unable to do the BHP Mine trip as it only runs Tues and Thurs. We walked down to the seafarers centre to book the port harbour tour for tomorrow. The seafarers mission provide general support in moving workers on and off boats and religious support to the men and women working on the large boats in the harbour. Was an interesting place and Kevin bought a casio watch. We then went for a drive along the esplanade coast line looking at tidal flats, spoil bank point and then along to cemetery beach, the turtle nesting area and various parks and lookouts. Stopped at the lawn bowling Club of Pt Hedland but couldn’t gain access as the club was closed due to repairs to the greens. Looked ok for a grass green, the first we have seen in ages. Headed back to the BlackRock Caravan Park and dropped mum off and then went to the shopping centre in South Hedland for some retail therapy. Hit K-Mart and Coles for starters. Stocked up on items we are short of and will do the fruit and veggie shopping on Sunday before we leave. Decided not to play cards.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.