Existing Member?

Vietnam 2012 Look once, look twice, look three times, pray and cross the street.

2nd july - Hoi An

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 2 July 2012 | Views [477]

Late breakfast today and the first person we see is Miss Hien who hasn't been at work since we arrived as her daughter had been very sick and needed an operation on her stomach. Her daughter is 10 months old. I gave her the toys I had bought for her - Snoopy, Raggetty Anne and ME smarty with arms and legs. After breakfast we met with Vinh at 123 Coffee Shop to help him with his English and so he could practice. He has been going to English classes 3 days/week and it costs him $20 pm to attend which is a lot out of his wages. We then went for a ride out of Hoi An to look at the countryside and rode over to Highway 1. After lunch we headed back to Phoung's to pick up Kevin's adjustments from yesterday and my shorts I ordered. All good. Kevin then decided to get another pair of trousers made and I got another 2 shirts. It has now come in cloudy and a little windy again. Kevin headed back to hotel to avoid Miss Forget Me Not at the market and I headed to Thanh's to pick up my sandles. I witnessed a cat fight between 2 of the cloth market lady's. Lots of yelling and a big crowd watching. Shoes good. While I was there the rain started and as I had left my poncho in my bike back at Phoung's I got a little damp walking back to it. Got into my poncho and rode back in the rain. Lasted only 20 mins and about an inch of rain fell. We were invited to Miss Le's the owners dinner for the hotel guests and staff. It was an enjoyable night as there were a few extra guests we had not met as yet. Two girls from Washington DC, a couple on a pre honeymoon holiday from New York USA and a couple from Tasmania - Chris and Rob and a couple from New Zealand. Jen and 2 of her girls were there but Simon and the eldest daughter were sick. Dinner was very nice and afterwards the whole group headed into the old town as today is lunar moon day. This is when the lights are turned off in the old town and people can launch lanterns / candles into the river in memory of their ancestors and for good luck. Lots of kids selling candles and entertainment along the river front. Kevin and I have seen this previously when here last year so we only stayed about an hour and then headed back to the hotel in a taxi.

About wendy-kevin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.