Existing Member?

Off and Running

Khusi Lagyo

NEPAL | Saturday, 30 July 2016 | Views [454]

Reflecting back on my time in Nepal it has been everything I could have imagined. Nepal is full of spirit, culture and life. It is vibrant and timeless and the smells and sounds of Kathmandu will stand out to me forever. What day by day seemed like the longest trip of my life, when I look back it has gone by in the flash of the eye. For the last month I have stayed with the most hospitable and kindest family who have opened me up to the real Nepal. Not a day went day by when they didn't make sure I had eaten enough, was comfortable or enjoying my stay. Despite knowing little Nepalese they made me feel so welcome. This trip has been tough, I have challenged myself and done things I never would have thought I could do. Initially the thought of teaching English to 50+ initially terrified me, but after a few times I got the hang of it and it was actually really fun. I think the hardest part is always starting.

For me travelling to developing countries is so important. Too often we take for granted the many luxuries and simple life we have in Australia. While people say Nepal is less fortunate then the developed world, I think in many ways they are more fortunate. Living with the family I could see how important family was to them. Every minute of every day they spent with each other, talking care of each other. They would tell me that all you need to find is happiness, and that if you have a family then you don't need anything else. As well as this the whole community looks out for each other. Most days I came home to see the neighbours over helping to pick vegetables from the garden or drinking tea together. Some days there were 20 Nepalese grandmas in the backyard- grandma club. It seems in Australia we live in a throw away society, where we are always wanting something and even when we get it we aren't happy. From what I can see Nepalese people live simply and don't mind it. The month I was here I didn't hear the family complain once- and this is a family that works six days a week.

I really hope I made a difference from my time in Nepal, even if it just was the children getting a laugh out of me as I tried to pronounce words. But even if I didn't, learning about countries and cultures is an important part of any development work. I wish there were more opportunities for the kids and teenagers at the orphanage (or everyone in Nepal). They are all incredibly smart and deserve the world.

 

I can understand why so many people return to Nepal- the people are truly the nicest and the smiles of the nepalese people are contagious. I am already planning my return back here to trek the Anna Purna mountain. I also can't wait to visit little Suvan - the light of my life and the smartest kid I know (as well as maisey of course). Bye for now Nepal it's been great! 

 

P.s I got my pizza 

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.