Existing Member?

Off and Running

Swimming between Two Continents

ICELAND | Monday, 12 October 2015 | Views [551]

For as long as I have wanted to visit Iceland I have wanted to snorkel between the tectonic plates. I finally did it and it was AMAZING. Snorkelling Silfra is one of the most popular places to dive/snorkel in the world. It includes snorkelling between the crack of the North American and Eurasian continents. It is in Thingvellir National park- about an hour away from Reyjivick.

 
The day that I chose to do the snorkelling it was only 5 degrees outside and -2 in the water-I thought I would die. We got given a short briefing on what to do and then got suited up into two dry suits. It took about 5 minutes to get them on and it was such a struggle. I don't think I have ever looked more ridiculous or disgusting in my life- my body was the size of a whale and my face looked like it just underwent extreme plastic surgery. If this wasn't bad enough our instructor was the most gorgeous human on this earth and any chance of me marrying an Icelandic man was forever ruined.  
 
 
I was in a group with a lovely family from the Netherlands. They were so kind and talked to me pretty much the whole time I was there. I was one of the first to plunge into the water and was very relieved to find the shock of the cold water wasn't that bad. But about a minute into being in the water my gopro camera froze because of the cold. My gopro camera case recently broke and seeing as I was to poor to buy a new one I went to a hardware shop where five Icelandic men helped tape my case back together so the water could not get in (yes literally five men they were fighting over what tape was best to use-much appreciated). I did manage to get a few good shots but sadly it meant that all the effort to fix my case was pretty much for nothing. 
 
 
Just being able to experience the snorkelling was the best part! We were in the water for around 45 minutes, my lips and fingers were frozen and I was turning blue but it was so worth it. I have never seen water so clear and so blue in my life. After we finished we got cookies and hot chocolate. The gorgeous instructor asked me if I had a good day and standing in my whale suit and with my blue frozen attractive face I replied with 'It's not every day you get to swim between two continents!'
 
 
 

Tags: iceland, snorkelling

 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.