Existing Member?

Off and Running

Chi-town

USA | Tuesday, 11 August 2015 | Views [266]

I was pretty keen to be starting my travels overseas in America with one of my favourite people- Rochelle looking at you! After 36 hours of travelling and endless conversations with crazy strangers I finally arrived in Chicago!

Quiz nights

We had a few days exploring Chicago before the weekend of Lollapalooza. We spent the days exploring Navy Pier, visiting the famous giant bean, shopping, quiz nights at the local pub and indulging ourselves in Panera bread (the best food place in America!). We stayed at a funky hostel on division street called Holiday Jones- mainly where most of our pre lolla photoshoots took place! 

Treating ourselves

On Friday we began our long awaited Lollapalooza weekend! It was held at Grant Park in the heart of the city. The two main stages were 1km apart which meant we had to literally sprint to each stage. There was around 170,000 people attending which is 1000x the amount of people at music festivals in Adelaide. The festival even had its own farmers market! 

Lolla

Friday was filled with incredible acts such as Peking duk, What so not, James Bay, Glass Animals, Dj Snake and my fav artist alt-j! Paul McCartney drew the biggest crowd I had ever seen and not surprisingly because he was incredible! Before seeing him I only knew a few of his songs (mainly because mum liked him) but by the end of his set I transformed into a crazy Paul fan! His show was topped with an incredible fireworks display and I thought if this was day 1 how good is the rest of the weekend going to be?!

Sir Paul McCartney

On Saturday we saw Hermitude, Chet Faker and Sam Smith who stole my heart! An incredible soul with the most incredible voice.

Sunset

On Sunday there was an extreme weather warning halfway through the day so everyone had to evacuate the park and hide in underground shelters. We spent a good hour in the Hilton Hotel basement before having to lineup again to get back in. We made it back in time for Of Monsters and Men (incredible) and Florence my queen! Her show was amazing and sadly cut short because of the weather, but it meant that her show was playing while there was a crazy thunderstorm (which I'm pretty convinced she brought with her). We finished the day with deep dish pizza and chocolate crepes. Hands down the best music experience I have experienced! 

Lolla

 

Chicago was a blast and probably one of my favourite American cities along with San Diego and San Francisco! See you soon chitown x

Chicago

Tags: chicago, lollapalooza

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.